Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sigma Lenses...Excited?

New Sigma Lenses...Excited?

New Sigma lenses look very interesting.
    The 35/1.4 looks very promising and so does the 120-300/2.8 new model.
    Anyone else excited by these new products?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    No.
    I just had the chance to try the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM on my camera. While I liked it better than my Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD, I do not think I would spend the money for it. I would go for a used Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM. It is sharper, weather sealed and about the same price.
    It does seem like their quality is better than before but I sure hear of a lot of people having to go through one or two copies before getting a good one. I am looking forward to the release of the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 with VC.
    Mark

70-300L

120-300/2.8

70-300L

120-300/2.8

35/1.4 Samyang

35/1.4 Sigma

35/1.4 Samyang

35/1.4 Sigma

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh decisions.
    I can probably console myself with the 70-300L being more "walkaround", which I do a lot when birdhunting. Although i would very much like a 300/2.8, and if that 300/2.8 comes in black with an extra 120-299mm as well, then maybe I might have to sell my first and only L to upgrade.

As for Sigma vs Samyang. hmmm. The Samyang is great, great IQ, but I bought mine 2nd hand after a fall, it still works great but it's got its quirks. I was contemplating if I could palm it off to someone and get a new (or better-used) one for less than $100 out-of-pocket then I might consider doing that one day in the future. Now i've got this to consider too, if the IQ beats or very-nears the Samyang, and has AF (even dodgy Sigma AF is enough, mostly it'll hyperfocal on MF anyway), then this is worth contemplating too. So's the new Schneider Kreuznach 35/1.4, but that's going to probably be MF and in Zeiss-Preiss territory.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Sigma is taking a new approach to marketing and they say, in their quality control. This new model 120-300mm is weathersealed and may be a half priced alternative to the Canon 300/2.8, for those in the market for that sort of lens.
    The Siggy 85/1.4 is a very good lens and I would expect the new Sigma35/1.4 to give the current Canon 35/1.4 a very good run for its money as well. They will always beat them on price.
    Steve U

New Sigma lenses look very interesting.
    The 35/1.4 looks very promising and so does the 120-300/2.8 new model.
    Umm...No

I can't imagine you would be to excited about it either Steve. The Zeiss 35mm just not doing it for you anymore?? If not let me know I will give it a try.

This new model 120-300mm is weathersealed and may be a half priced alternative to the Canon 300/2.8, for those in the market for that sort of lens.
    Other than being able to shoot at 300mm at f/2.8, it will be a tall order for the 120-300mm to compete in IQ. The 300mm f/2.8 I and II version are both in a league of their own. The 70-200mm F/2.8L II doesn't even compete in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Other than being able to shoot at 300mm at f/2.8, it will be a tall order for the 120-300mm to compete in IQ. The 300mm f/2.8 I and II version are both in a league of their own. The 70-200mm F/2.8L II doesn't even compete in this league.
    Definitely the L IS and L IS II will both be better than the Siggy Zoom.

But they'll also be what? 2x, 3x, 5x the price? If you need the best, of course you're going to choose L. But if you need the best for what you can afford, I don't see the L being 2-5x better. That's where companies like Sigma operate, not the best, but the cheapest past the point of 'good enough'.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Dr. Of course. I think the comparison between the 70-200mm L and the Sigma will be the one to make.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Umm...No

I can't imagine you would be to excited about it either Steve. The Zeiss 35mm just not doing it for you anymore?? If not let me know I will give it a try.
    Still happy with the Zeiss Rick, might even consider expanding the stable in the future. Just have to save a little harder. But their 15mm looks incredible and the new 55mm and 135mm will be probably the best at those lengths. Not a lot of competition at 55mm, I suppose.

It will be very interesting to see the charts for the new 120-300 and how it compares and if the 300/2.8L justifies triple the price. Might be a high IQ, cheaper alternative for a lot of sporting guys.
    Steve U

This new model 120-300mm is weathersealed and
    I was at a photo shoot this weekend that was sponsored by sigma. I asked the Sigma rep if the 70-200 f2.8 was weather sealed. He said none of the Sigma lenses were weather sealed. I looked the 120-300 up in their catalog and it does not say anything about weather sealing.
    Did you see this mentioned somewhere?
    Mark