Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self portrait

Self portrait

Hey guys. I took this last night, wanted your thoughts on it. Something seems off.. I think it's the shadows on my face. I dunno. Definitely not my best work, but by far my best self portrait.

(uploaded on tapatalk from my iPad. Let me know if you can't see it.)

Attachment 717
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p398974961-3.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	721  
    Last edited by Rocco; 03-26-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Nice shot! I'm not usually a big fan of mixing color temperatures this much, but here it looks pretty good. Personally, I'd go with a bit less negative space.

I think mixing colour temperatures highlights your beard a lot because it's the one universally warm object.

I also think your eyes are in a little too much shadow.

I'm nowhere near a portrait expert mind.

I like the feeling of the shot, but you might want to try lowering your mainlight (have it more level with your head, not as high and pointed downward). A lower mainlight would likely have reached across the bridge of your nose to slightly illuminate your eye on the viewer's left side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I like the feeling of the shot, but you might want to try lowering your mainlight (have it more level with your head, not as high and pointed downward). A lower mainlight would likely have reached across the bridge of your nose to slightly illuminate your eye on the viewer's left side.
    I had another go tonight. I gotta say.. THIS is my best ever. Have any thoughts on this one Sean? Seems like the viewer-right eye is dark now (changed the position of the reflector) but that also might be because it's a direct window into my black soul.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Self Portrait 3-27-12-179.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	728
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I love the calm relaxed feel of this portrait, a lot more natural.
    I also like the uneven size of your pupils. I'm sorry I did laugh out loud at this one, that's a great expression Rocco. It is like you are dreading whatever Sean says next.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

How many light sources (aside from the window) and what type of modifiers do you have access to Rocco?

Not many.. I really wish I had more. I have a lumiquest softbox for my 430exII, a disc reflector, and gels for the flash.. Oh, and a Gary fong diffuser as well.

In that first shot I had my reflector camera right, directly under a ceiling light, and below my head angled upward. The flash was behind me, bare, and feathered up so I had some bounce off the ceiling as well as a little hitting me. It was triggered by the 7D, which was at 1/16th power for a little fill. (was hoping for a catch light from it, but but it's so small.)

I made a mess of the second attempt.. Had the flash at head level and a little in front of me, and pointed directly at me. Camera right the reflector was also head level, vertically flush with my face.. I eliminated the overhead light.

Anyone want to send a few Einsteins my way??
    Last edited by Rocco; 03-29-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    I love the calm relaxed feel of this portrait, a lot more natural.
    I also like the uneven size of your pupils. I'm sorry I did laugh out loud at this one, that's a great expression Rocco. It is like you are dreading whatever Sean says next.
    That's what I love about this forum. My sarcasm is never wasted on you guys.

I have a shot in my head that I want you to try. It's a shot I've done a few times and it usually turns out well:

Ode: Contemplative by budrowilson, on Flickr

Haris: Still Looking by budrowilson, on Flickr

Put your flash with a modifier (LQ SB) a little behind you raking forward just a bit. The exact position of the mainlight is key to avoiding a large, unflattering nose shadow (I actually have the flash a little to far behind the subject in the first shot). You could put the reflector behind you as a back light (like the second shot) and use the on-camera pop-up as fill (very similar to the first shot's on-axis fill technique). I'd suggest gelling the flash with 1/4 CTO or 1/2 CTO for a bit of warmth if shooting inside (we're accustomed to seeing warm tungsten light inside).
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 03-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.