Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

I normally shoot high school andcollegesports with the rare professional event on my resume. I've shot everything from the U.S. Olympic Softball Team to a "Hooked on Golf"tournament for grade school kids. I think I understand the area of media credentials, copyrights and usage pretty well, but I had a new situation arise this weekend.

I had a confrontation with a soccer tournament director this weekend that was a first for me. The strange part is I was photographing my own 13-year old daughter. Apparently, the organizers had arranged to have a "professional" shoot the tournament and sell photographs to parents. Heprobably complained to the organizers when he saw my EF400 f/2.8 L IS USM on the Canon 5D MKII. Regardless of whatsparked the concern, I was asked to put away my gear because the organizers had an exclusive arrangement with the vendor.

Needless to say, I refused. I noted that I wasnot the only parent with a camera and was told that mine "was too professional." The discussion was pretty ugly and the director threatened to call the police. I responded by threatening to call my lawyer. Needless to say, the police didn't come arrest me and I kept shooting. As a side note, the venue is a local public park.

I shoot a lot of kids sports under contract for individual parents and players. I can see a time when I'm going to be under contract to shoot a player and theorganizers are going to have contractedwith an event photographer. Legally, can theorganizerssellexclusive rights to an event on public property that doesn't charge admission or restrict parents from using their own camera gear (as long as it isn't too nice, of course)?

Anyone who has been down this road, I'd love to hear what you have learned.

Re: Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

I must say I'm curious to hear the responses on this one....

Sounds like total bull to me. They<span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]cant[shouldn't be able to] tell you to put your gear away cause it's "Too professional".

Anyone got a more knowledgeable response than mine? haha.

I'm interested in the legit legal argument too.

I'm interested in hearing this too actually.

Though, coming from the great state of New Jersey I have little but to expect that there's some stipulation that allows this to occur. Also coming from New Jersey I would expect this changes from either a state, county or local level so you may need to actually check every location you're shooting at.

~Jordan

7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Pretty sure if it's public property they're SOL!

But on private property you're walking a thin line.. I've been asked and had friends ask to put away their cameras or leave the location when shooting a "landmark" place. It's pretty sad when all you're trying to do is take a great picture.

Errr... dumb people - I hate them!

You can shoot anything you want in a public place or even stuff on private property that can seen from publicplace. They need to hold their event indoors in a private place if they want to pull that crap.

Check to see if you signed anything when you signed up that said you wanted a stalker to photograph your kid and then have him try to sell you the images.

I agree 100% with Keith.

I pass these links on FYI with no implicit endorsement.

http://www.kantor.com/legal-rights/

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Geoff

I agree with Keith, not unless you signed anything stating that you can't take pictures during the game, then they can't stop you. Also taking to consideration the location. It's a public place. If you're in a covered area or within some school vicinity then they might have the upper hand on this. I'm not sure on these as these are just my opinion.