I recently purchased a canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM to replace my canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.

Now i am looking to purchase a L series lens to replace my EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.. I will be using this for mainly landscape shots. I’m presently using a Rebel Xti but i might up grade to a full frame in the future, not 100% sure yet.

I am just lost in what lens to get for wide landscapes. I don’t want to carry a tripod with me and i was hoping for an IS on this second purchase... i really love my new and first prime zoom lens, and i want to stay in that line of lens now. I’m not a professional photographer, it’s a hobby for me that i enjoy very much.

I was looking at the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens... the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM Lens.. are they still ok for hand holding regardless they have no IS... or maybe the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens. I’m new at learning to stop down the f stops and all that stuff but i am slowly learning.

I’m ready to make my second purchase as soon as i can decide what to get out of these 3 lens i have mentioned.. or maybe there would be another lens you would recommend for me in the prime series. I hope you can help me make my decision..