Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think I should get this lens cleaned?

Do you think I should get this lens cleaned?

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]All the material you see is inside the lens<o></o>

Note: This was taken with my mobile phone

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/4401.2011_2D00_08_2D00_03_5F00_19_2D00_03_2D00_04_ 5F00_901.jpg[/img]

EF-S 17-85
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Re: Do you think I should get this lens cleaned?

Personally, I wouldn

Most of that looks like dust. Just get a little rubber dust blower or some low pressure compressed air and blast it off.

You won

If that was my lens it would drive me crazy. Would I spend the money to send it back to canon, no. My 17-55 IS lens sucked in dirt but not quite as much as yours but close. First time I had my lens cleaned by Canon and the next two times I did it myself before I ditched it for the 16-35mm II. Read online how to do the cleaning myself and it was not that tough. How I did it on my lens was to carefully pry up the black ring on the front of the lens where you see the lettering "CANON ZOOM.....1:4-5.6 IS USM.....67mm". Get a small precision screwdriver or exacto knife and work it up. It comes up with a little pressure. Under this sticker are two or 3 screws that hold on a plate that secures the front element to the lens. Pull out element or turn lens upside down as you hold a cloth in your hand and catch it. Then clean underneath it and then clean the lens itself with a proper lint free lens cloth or blower. Put it back together the way it came apart. That is what canon does so why not do it yourself if the 17-85 is like the 17-55. I went the extra steps and made sure to make note of which specific screw went where and then made note of the position of the plate so that it would go back exactly the same. These details most likely won't matter but it couldn't hurt. Additional side note if you do the cleaning replace the black circular ring/sticker which has the lens identification lettering on it back into its position and only run your finger around it's surface to make it re-stick. It is thin, flexible and will get creased/indented if you use anything else to push it down.

I found a youtube vid to assist you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8-nEjfZ-KE. Its a no brainer especially if its out of warranty. Probably 60 bucks with shipping for a cleaning at Canon.

I know that this doesn

Quote Originally Posted by William
    ...how hard would it be for Canon to install air filters to prevent this.

They only do that in conjunction with painting a red ring around the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by William
    ...how hard would it be for Canon to install air filters to prevent this.

They only do that in conjunction with painting a red ring around the barrel.

I have my 24-105 F/4 L one year. I thought, that it is protected from the dust, because of the red stripe and red "L" letter. The dusts is going away, when see lenses with these attributes []. But i was wrong. Several month ago i noticed 2 dusts under the front element. I didn't removed my lens almost 6 or 7 month. And during all the time, that i have, i removed only 2 ar 3 times. Of course, i do not use any protection filter to protect completely, but i think, that the filter is neccesary to protect lens from water drops or if the conditions is really extreme. But in my case conditions was not so dusty (or almost without dust). So..i don't know, how and from which <span class="HW"]junction dust is coming under front element.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/7128.Dusts-1.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/5751.Dusts-2.jpg[/img]

I think i will use cleaning technique mentioned by freelanceshots. And then will try to use any filter all the time.

All y'all need to read Roger Cicala's (from lensrentals.com) latest article. Roger addresses lens dust as only he can.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/08/the-apocalypse-of-lens-dust

I once had a school teacher that would get a build up of saliva in the corners of his mouth when he spoke. It didn

Funny!