Thread: more cherry blossom photos - critques welcome

more cherry blossom photos - critques welcome

Went back to Jinhae again (flowers blooming this time). I know some people will say the composition is too busy and I accept that. However I was just wondering if people could critique me on everything else they dislike/like about the images.

Many thanks

Shooting mode: Aperture priority, Shutter speed: 1/30, Aperture: 11.0, Exposure compensation: 0, ISO: 100, Focal length 55.0, White balance mode: Cloudy

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.38.97/IMG_5F00_1197_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

Shooting mode: Shutter priority, Shutter speed: 1/500, Aperture: 2.8, Exposure compensation: 0, ISO speed: 100, Focal length: 33.0, White balance mode: cloudy

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.38.97/Img_5F00_1190IMG_5F00_1190_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

Shooting mode: Aperture priority, Shutter speed: 1/13, Aperture: 8.0, Exposure composition: 0, ISO: 100, Focal length: 18.0, White Balance mode: cloudy

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.38.97/Img_5F00_1176IMG_5F00_1176_5F00_small.jpg[/img]

Re: more cherry blossom photos - critques welcome

Some definite improvements in the sharpness department - your apertures and shutter speeds are more appropriate, I think.

I like the first one the best - only critique there is the blown out/white sky makes it harder to distinguish the blossoms. I'll reiterate my recommendation for a CPL filter (unless the day was overcast - in that case, you'd have been better off on another day, maybe).

On the second one, it looks like nothing is really in focus. In brightly-lit scenes, a wide aperture (e.g. f/2.8) is usually used to provide out of focus blur so the subject is sharp and the fore/background are blurred. In #2, I can't find a clear subject for the image. Also, it looks a bit tilted, though that can be easily fixed in post processing.

For the third one, again, I'm not a fan of the composition - again, I don't see a clear subject or intent. Exposure is ok. If it were me, I'd have wandered down and shot a pic looking out through the closer archway, from low to the ground, with the archway in the shot to frame the bridge and trees.