Thread: Just got myself the 85mm 1.8

Just got myself the 85mm 1.8

Now it is four weeks vacation to play with it. Have a nice summer everybody. I plan to spend more time outdoor than indoor.

Lars

Re: Just got myself the 85mm 1.8

You know, I've purchased that particular lens--twice. It was actually the first lens I bought other than the lens that came with my camera. Then I figured out it was just too long to use under most indoor situations I found myself in. I sold it to help finance the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It ended up being a good trade as the 17-55 was the perfect general purpose lens. However, several years later (after my lens collection had grown considerably), I longed for the 85mm f/1.8 again. I don't use the lens often. But when I do, it performs admirably.

I hope you appreciate it sooner than I did...

Good choice! IMO, it's a great lens and one of the best values in the Canon lineup. Excellent for tight portraits and shooting action in low light.

Like Sean, it was the first lens I bought after the lens that 'came with' my camera (I skipped the kit lens and got the 17-55mm straight off, and I concur that it's the best general purpose zoom for an APS-C body). I did sell my 85mm f/1.8, but only after getting the 85mm f/1.2<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L II. I love the 85L, but I do sometimes miss the small, light, and fast-focusing 85/1.8. Its only real flaw is a susceptibility to LoCA (aka purple-green fringing) in OOF specular highlights (chrome, sunlit water, even catchlights in eyes from a flash) when shot wide open. But all ultrafast lenses suffer from LoCA, L-series included, if to a lesser degree. Just something to be aware of as you compose shots.

Enjoy the new lens - and your vacation!!

--John

Congrats on your new glass! You
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Congrats! It's a great lens. I don't use it as often as others, but it's a critical piece of kit for me. Amazing for low light action and portraits, and DSLR documentary video. You can really light up a dim room when shooting video with this lens.