Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My filter(s)'s fogging up my images!

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar

My filter(s)'s fogging up my images!

I just got my really cheap Cokin brand ND filters, trying to get into long exposure for landscape photography..but the moment I put the ND filters to the test..I can see the images as if they've been fogged up or hazed! What's wrong?
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/

Quote Originally Posted by francongphotography View Post
    I just got my really cheap Cokin brand ND filters
    What's wrong?

My experience is that you do in fact get what you pay for. When I first started taking pictures, November 2010, I bought a set of $20 Tiffen ND filters. I had this problem. After I ditched the Rebel XT and kit lens for the 7D and 17-55, I made the same mistake. I KNEW then it was the filter. After that I spent close to 500 on a set of six Tiffen Digital HT Titanium filters.. and it's been all gravy from there.

Just my two cents.. I have no personal experience with Cokin.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

dang..too bad I dont have the money for those high quality filters..Think I'll just stick with these cheap ones for awhile till I have enough for the better glass. Nice kit btw...the dream kit that I've always wanted
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

I've shot in mist, rain, fog, high humidity, etc., and never had this issue. I use B+W filters only (MRC UV on all lenses, several NDs in various strengths and sizes, and a couple of CPLs).

Francon,

I just purchased the cokin Z-Pro system and I am still putting it through some tests. But I haven't yet noticed any "fogging" issues with the filters I received in my kit (U960 with Z121 L/M/S grad ND filters). Actually, thus far I am really pleased with the optical quality.

Could you post a few pictures? Also, which filters did you purchase? I don't know all of cokin's products, it is entirely possible that they have a cheap line.

BTW, I own several B+W filters and have nothing bad to say about the quality of the glass with the B+W. I have noticed that the Grad ND 102 can effect IQ if you look at 100%. But it is not noticable unless you are cropping your image significantly.

I am testing the cokin line out for the flexibility of adjusting the grad line and to avoid step up rings, which get stuck far too often.

Thanks,
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-24-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: It needed it..... :)

I've taken quite a lot of shots with my ND filters, mainly for landscapes.. The IQ, do indeed degrade when I stack 3 filters for that 13 stops of slower exposure..but when I use only one filter at a time, the filter only affects the IQ by a little. Not as much as when I stack up the filters..just really lacked sharpness and the images appear really soft..kinda goes along with that dreamy water effect though

But I had to say, these square filters are really convenient...as I just need to buy different thread sizes for my lenses and screw on the filter holder and be ready for the shot. Saving loads of money from buying different sizes of circular filters for my lenses.

I used to use ~$25 Tiffen filters (UV, ND and CPL) and I never had any such issue. The only reason I stopped using them was because I generally felt like the images had a little more "pop" without them (aside from the CPL) and I'm not afraid of damaging my cheapo lenses with hoods on them.

You should avoid stacking filters as much as possible. I have used a CP and Grad ND together, but that is about as many as I am likely to stack. Also, the CP is a B&W (good filter) and the Grad ND is a Cokin. Be sure to remove your UV filter if you are using another (there is no need for it at that point).

Below is a link to a Lens Rental blog post were they did some tests with stacking filters. Although they took it to the ridiculous by stacking 50 filters, they also did a stack five cheap UV filters and there was a hugh difference (looked hazy).
    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011...th-bad-filters
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Franco....your post reminded me of this blog over at lensrentals.com:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011...th-bad-filters

Also, as I am currently evaluating square filters myself, stacking them is probably a good test.

BTW...regarding my first post above, I thought you were getting "fogging" with a single filter. Makes sense that it is multiple filters stacked (of if you did get it from a single filter, I'd return that filter).

But I had to say, these square filters are really convenient...as I just need to buy different thread sizes for my lenses and screw on the filter holder and be ready for the shot. Saving loads of money from buying different sizes of circular filters for my lenses.
    One of the problems with the square (or rectangular) filters and holder is you can not use your lens hood which can be a problem with glare, and I like the front element protection the hood provides. However, I do use them for the grad ND's, but nothing else.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr