Thread: Horizontal Tripod columns..... any other use besides macro photography???

Horizontal Tripod columns..... any other use besides macro photography???

Hi,

am looking to buy a tripod. Saw the manfrooto 055xPROB legs with Q90 column.

I do find the horizontal column to be a nice feature. Aside from macro photography [ or which I think it might be useful] are there any other use for that setting???

Can the horizontal setting be used even if I have 3way pan tilt head installed instead of ballhead??

Re: Horizontal Tripod columns..... any other use besides macro photography???

I have the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 and a Manfrotto 3047 three-axis head, so I thought I'd chime in. The horizontal column can be used with that head, though any head, including a ball head, will displace the center of gravity away from the vertical axis of the tripod more than just attaching the camera directly to the tripod. The version I have is carbon fiber and the column is very strong, and my camera is a 40D, with my largest lens only a 28-135, so it isn't noticeable in practice. I can even set the column so the body is well away from the vertical tripod axis, but if you are using the metal version, and you have a 1 series with heavy glass, you may want to bring the camera as close to the vertical axis as possible to avoid flex.

As for uses other than macro, I've take some vertical panoramas with my Q90 column in the horizontal position.

Hello HiFiGuy1,

I think the 055cxpro3 is sturdier than the 055CXPROB.... right? for now I am looking at the 055cxprobfor my gripped Xti with my biggest lens thus far is a 70-200 2.8is. will it handle the load of axis??

I was kind of hoping to going with a ball head but am not really sure if those manfrotto ballheads can handle the load when the camera is off the vertical axis. I'm kind of worried the ball might slip out of place from where i set it and that would be annoying.I should go with those acratech or arca swiss ballheadsbut they're way out off my budget right now.

What do you think?? Should I go with a ballhead or a 3way pan tilt head??

The 055CXPRO3 is carbon fiber, while the 055XPROB is aluminum - the 'C' in there is for carbon-fiber, and the 3 on the end refer to the number of leg sections. Carbon fiber is lighter, and much more expensive. Stability is pretty similar to aluminum, but the CF has the advantage of not transmitting vibration as well as aluminum. Even my 190CXPRO4 (the 190 series is lighter and shorter than the 055 series) can support a gripped T1i with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens, with the 488RC2 ballhead. I like the convenience of a ballhead, but I have to say my only pan/tilt experience was with an old, cheap mini-tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by jks

Hello HiFiGuy1,

I think the 055cxpro3 is sturdier than the 055CXPROB.... right? for now I am looking at the 055cxprobfor my gripped Xti with my biggest lens thus far is a 70-200 2.8is. will it handle the load of axis??

I was kind of hoping to going with a ball head but am not really sure if those manfrotto ballheads can handle the load when the camera is off the vertical axis. I'm kind of worried the ball might slip out of place from where i set it and that would be annoying.I should go with those acratech or arca swiss ballheadsbut they're way out off my budget right now.

What do you think?? Should I go with a ballhead or a 3way pan tilt head??

Refer to neuroanatomist's post regarding the nomenclature of the Manfrotto tripods, but I understand your question. I don't have direct experience with the aluminum version 055XPROB, but I do have an aluminum tripod (SunPak 7500TM), and the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 is stiffer and stronger, and it also transmits far less vibration to the body than the SunPak. Aluminum by its nature as a homogeneous solid is resonant, where as carbon fiber as it exists in finished form, like tripod legs, is a composite of dissimilar substances (resin and woven carbon fibers) which is why it absorbs vibration so well. Comparing the two Manfrottos would be closer, but some of the carbon advantages over aluminum would still carry over, even for a nearly identical design. Carbon fiber legs also don't hold heat like aluminum, so on a cold day it will be much more pleasant to handle the CF version.

As far as being more expensive, I think that the 055xxxxxx tripods don't differ that much. Mine was $399, and I think the aluminum version is $180. Relatively speaking the carbon is over twice as much, but the total difference is only a couple hundred dollars. Considering how light it is to carry, (like 2.2 pounds, and the relatively small absolute difference in price, I'd go with the CXPRO3. I don't recommend the PRO4 for most uses, either, since it has four legs, with the last segment being narrower and less strong, while only saving a couple of inches of length when stored.

I struggled with the three-axis vs ballhead for a good while. I don't know the correct answer. I have both right now, one of them borrowed. The ballhead I have is far from lightweight. It is the largest I've ever seen of its kind, and it is very strong, so the issues to which you refer with the Manfrotto aren't really there for mine. I just ended up using the three axis more because when I loosen it to move it, I can do it one axis at a time, and I like the control. A ball head is flexible, but if you accidentally lose your grip on the body with a large lens, it could be catastrophic. I would probably change my opinion if I were doing portrait work, though. I mostly use it for wildlife right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo

Aside from macro photography [ or which I think it might be useful] are there any other use for that setting???
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes, I've extended the arm to shoot over railings and fences when I want to get closer to the ground than the leg spread will allow with the column in place and when the most stable place for the legs isn't necessarily exactly where I want to frame the photo from

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

...I'd go with the CXPRO3. I don't recommend the PRO4 for most uses, either, since it has four legs, with the last segment being narrower and less strong, while only saving a couple of inches of length when stored.

I find my PRO4 to be quite stable, and it's worth noting that the load capacity is identical, so the 'strength' is the same despite thinner leg segments. But, for me it's those 'couple of inches' that made the real difference - the 190CXPRO4 fits in my carry-on luggage, whereas the 190CXPRO3 would not - so for me, the trade off is a thinner leg segment vs. not bringing a tripod at all.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    But, for me it's those 'couple of inches' that made the real difference - the 190CXPRO4 fits in my carry-on luggage,

For me too. They fold down to under 20" and that was the clincher for me. I've been very happy with them, and with the deal - Manfrotto is offering it again now (ends 1/31) - $50 off certain sticks/head combo when purchased together.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

...I'd go with the CXPRO3. I don't recommend the PRO4 for most uses, either, since it has four legs, with the last segment being narrower and less strong, while only saving a couple of inches of length when stored.

I find my PRO4 to be quite stable, and it's worth noting that the load capacity is identical, so the 'strength' is the same despite thinner leg segments. But, for me it's those 'couple of inches' that made the real difference - the 190CXPRO4 fits in my carry-on luggage, whereas the 190CXPRO3 would not - so for me, the trade off is a thinner leg segment vs. not bringing a tripod at all.

Interesting point about the carry on. I didn't think of it from that perspective. Certainly if that is the only way it will fit, then, as you said, either take a 4 segment or don't take one. Sometimes four inches is critical, after all.

I don't have evidence to back up my assertion, but I still think that, regardless of rated capacity, the 3 segment 055 may be able to hold more in practice than the 4 segment 055. If they are indeed rated the same by Manfrotto, I would guess that the 3 segment has "headroom". I don't think I'd stress either one of them, to be honest. I probably wouldn't even stress your 190 series, which is rated to hold about 2/3 the weight of the 055 series. Ultimately, I just like the extra rigidity, but if I needed a travel tripod, and had your requirements, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 190CXPRO4. It looks very nice.