Thread: 20D: Focuses, but will not shoot.

20D: Focuses, but will not shoot.

Hey all,

Anyone ever had a problem similar to this on any camera? I hold the shutter button halfway in to focus. At this point, everything works fine. Next, I depress the shutter button fully to take the picture. This is where things get screwy. Or rather, nothing happens at all.

Anyone have this happen to them before? I'm looking to get a rough estimate of the repair cost before I decide to spend the $13 shipping to Canon NJ just to find out that I'll be dishing another $350 into my 20D for a new shutter mechanism.

This just happened tonight while I was second shooting a wedding. Gave me a chance to learn a Nikon 90D on the fly as the primary photographer had a backup.

Thanks in advance,

(a very dejected) Rodger

Re: 20D: Focuses, but will not shoot.

I've only had something slightly similar happen to my 20D a few times. Two of the times it was when using AI Servo and it gave me an error... forget what number it gave me (maybe Err 20 or Err 99? Not sure). I think I just took out the battery and put it back in and it worked. The other time I think it was just because I'd run out of battery or space on my memory card or something like that. Maybe you should try reformatting your memory card. I'm no expert on this by any means, but that might be the problem.

Hope this helps.

Derrick

Are you sure the focus is locked? maybe try shooting with the auto mode - just to make sure.

<div>

Thanks for both your replies. I changed the metering mode (the one thing I did not change last night) and tried again. Dontcha know, it took the picture. Changed it back to the original metering mode, and it still took the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by djzuk

I've only had something slightly similar happen to my 20D a few times. Two of the times it was when using AI Servo and it gave me an error... forget what number it gave me (maybe Err 20 or Err 99? Not sure). I think I just took out the battery and put it back in and it worked. The other time I think it was just because I'd run out of battery or space on my memory card or something like that. Maybe you should try reformatting your memory card. I'm no expert on this by any means, but that might be the problem.

Hope this helps.

Derrick

This seemed to be something entirely different. I didn't get any error codes. It just wouldn't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren
    Are you sure the focus is locked? maybe try shooting with the auto mode - just to make sure.
    </div>

I'm sure focus was locked. I had tried both manual and auto focus. I threw the whole camera into auto mode right before the metering mode change up though. That may have had something to do with it..

Either way, I've learned my lesson. The AlienBee kit will have to wait until I find a replacement for the slot of "Main Camera Body" I'm thinking 1dmkiii or 5dmkii mwahahaha.

Thanks guys.

Glad you got it working. []