Thread: Isopropyl cleaning

Isopropyl cleaning

Has anybody ever done this before:

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB_gSqyidI0]

I couldn
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Re: Isopropyl cleaning

So it looks like this is to clean the contacts under the shutter switch, nothing more.

I've worked in Electronics Repair for a few years, and i can tell you:

- We used IPA all the time for cleaning, mainly to clean flux off PCBs after soldering. It worked fine, BUT IPA has a tendency to leave a white powdery-film on everything, we ended up cleaning the IPA residue off with real alcohol. Real alcohol will do just as well to clean dirt of switch-contacts. So will dedicated Contact Cleaner.

- So IPA might clean the contacts fine, notice how he presses the shutter while cleaning? that will help get rid of the residue.

- He's very smart to recommend against blowing around inside, the last thing you want is a white residue making it between the case and LCD, or even worse, between the bayer filter and sensor itself.

As for the method, personally i'd find it safer to disassemble the whole camera body, rather than just tip liquid inside willy-nilly. Figure out how to take the casing off just enough to get to the shutter-switch, use an ESD-safe brush (like: uk.farnell.com/.../1687881) with a tiny amount, few drops of IPA. Stay away from the sensor area as much as possible, also try not to touch the capacitor that stores charge for they flash, they hurt when you short them with your finger (trust me on that).

Preferably use an entire ESD-safe workstation, at least a mat, wrist strap, and cable to power-outlet earth (and pray your house is wired correctly)

(and disclaimer, if you try it and it doesn't work, don't blame me)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I just read this post and my trusty 20D has been languishing for a while while a slow and unreliable main shutter release button - All fine using a battery grip as activator. I actually used this as an excuse to upgrade to a 50D but I digress. So.... Got hold of 100% absolute ethanol, tipped some in, followed the youtube instructions and voila!

Can't be any worse than using the camera in the rain, at the beach or under waterfalls.

So subjectively it works but no guarantee or warranty. Not sure I would use on my 50D or 5D just yet!

Not sure I will say too loud that the 20D is now fixed but it is still a good camera.

Good luck []

Hmm, I ended up doing this and the shutter works 100% better. I used 100% IPA. It
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II