Thread: Broken autofocus: corroded contacts?

Broken autofocus: corroded contacts?

Hello,

Several years ago I bought my first DSLR, a Canon 1000D, with the 18-55 EF-S kitlens. A few months ago I noticed a problem with its AF: it only turns in one direction. If I turn my AF 'furthest' and press the shutter button on my DSLR, it focuses to the spot that's somewhat correctly in focus. When it has to focus from the 'nearest' focus, it doesn't turn at all and you got to do it manually. Get the picture?

Now, I do not truly care for the kitlens, but I do care about the camera it is on and the lenses that are exchanged on several DSLR's. I have read online that the AF problem is possibly because of corroded contacts on the lens (note: other lenses work fine). I used an eraser on it and I cleaned it with some contact lens fluid, but the problem still persists. So, maybe the problem aren't the contacts at all! I wouldn't be surprised, since the lens does not zoom very smooth anymore (focus ring is okay) which is why I think there's dust/sand inside.

However, my question is as follows: If the lens truly has corroded contacts, could it corrode the contacts of the DSLR or affect the contacts of the DSLR in any way? I do not want to be afraid using other lenses on the camera.. Although it is not an expensive camera (but bear with me, I'm still a student), I still use other lenses such as the 24-105 and the 70-300 DO now and then.

Thanks,
    Vegetable

Nobody on this forum has any idea regarding this subject?

It can't really "pass it on" to other lenses/bodies. What does happen is every time you attach and remove a lens, little pieces of stuff could make it into the mirror box. I'd be more concerned with where I store/use my lenses that make then corrode. If body and lens are in the same place, both will prolly react independently to the environment. I think there is a procedure for properly cleaning camera gear after use. I've not found it a huge problem so far to worry about.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Thanks for your feedback, that's some great comfort. I also contacted my country's Canon Support and they confirmed that the contacts would not be able to affect each other. Of course it is most likely because of dust or sand, but I really needed the comfort before buying an expensive L-lens since I was afraid it'd affect it.

Also, I didn't know erasers could actually damage your equipment. I'll keep that in mind for in the future!