OK, so I've finally decided to take the plunge with DSLR, after leaving behind my flim based SLR a few decades ago and putting up with many and varied point and shoot digitals in the mean time - when I reviewed a friends family pics, I was blown away by the clarity and the intensity of the colours and realised what I've been putting up with over the years just was cutting it. I've spent the past few months googling and seem to have come up with a short list (with great help from the reviews on this site - good job). I'd really apreciate some feedback....

Canon 5D Mkii with Spare battery & 2 x 8Gb Extreme III cards

Canon 24-70 2.8 L USM OR Canon 24-105 4 L IS USM

Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS USM

Canon 50mm 1.4 USM

Canon Speedlite 430 EX II

Canon 16-35 2.8 L II USM (possible )

I will mainly shoot Landscape and People but there is always the need to be more versatile.

The 5D Mkii seems to be a cracking camera and I really like the idea of full frame. The 70-200 doesn't have a bad word said about it (apart from the price!) and the 50mm seems to be a good around the house type lens without the need to setup the flash etc

I'm undecided on the 24-70 vs the 24-105 - the argument seems to come down on the side of the 24-70 with the 5D's full frame and I expect ones of these will spend the most time on the camera while out and about with 70-200 coming a close second.

I'm not sure if I can justify the additional expense of the 16-35 lens for that additional wider angle over the 24-70 or the 24-105 - but ......

So, have I finally lost my marbles or am I spending the kids inheritence wisely?

It may not seem like it, but I do have a budget and I want to make sure that with a significant investment like this I am getting the best options and making the best choices.