Hey Everyone,

Some funds have been available and I'm really considering purchasing the 17-40L. I'm using the 5D Mark II and am really starting to consider a spot for it in my kit, as I'm going on a trip to Italy and France over March break (along with a lot of nature/outdoor photography opportunities over the next two weeks).

Here is what I own as of now:

5D Mark II

24-70L

70-200 f/2.8L IS II** (italicized because I'm picking one up later this week - I sold my 70-200 f/2.8 IS Mark I today [])

50 f/1.8

(2) Speedlite 580 EX II's

I feel like I have the telephoto end covered in my kit with the 70-200 (other than when shooting sports, but I'll hold the "Should I buy the 1D Mark III" discussion for another thread... []), but I find myself rather limited to what I can do on the wide end (24mm). F/4, as much as it is slower than all of my other lenses, won't bother me - With the ISO performance of the 5D Mark II and two flashes (and the 50mm), I feel "covered" for low-light situations. It should also be noted that the Tokina 12-24mm was the most used lens on my 40D during a trip to Europe two summers ago. No wonder I miss ultra-wides with the 5D... []

Here a some questions I have:

What do you like about the lens? How does it perform optically in the real world (sharpness across the frame, contrast, saturation)? Do you find the 16-35 f/2.8L a significant improvement in image quality over the 17-40 at apertures narrower than f/5.6?

If you have any photos shot with the 17-40L and would like to share them to hook me, feel free to post them here!

Thanks in advance for your help. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

-Alex