Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First family Portrait Session---Could use some advice

First family Portrait Session---Could use some advice

Ok, Ok, I know, I have said many times that I don't shoot people, but, I have been browbeat and reluctantly agreed to do an outdoor photoshoot for a family friend and his family.

Here is the plan:

Outdoor shoot, Desert foreground and mountain background
    family includes Mom, dad, two teenage boys and a baby girl

What I plan to use:
    7d, 50 1.2L, 100L, 500L
    4 flashes (1 580 and 3 430's and stands)
    1 umbrella
    enough pocket wizards and wire to remotely fire all flashes

My current plan:
    I would like to try the 500 and shoot from a distance----I think the look of the compressed mountains in the background would be different and unique. If it doesn't work, I can always go to the 100 or 50

My questions:
    1. Would a softbox be beneficial outdoors
    2. What other gear do I need to do this right
    3. Is my plan a good starting point
    4. What on earth do I do now?????

As always, Any assistance, advice or recommendations are appreciated
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    My current plan:
    I would like to try the 500 and shoot from a distance----I think the look of the compressed mountains in the background would be different and unique. If it doesn't work, I can always go to the 100 or 50
    I think that's a great idea! Although you might need a bullhorn for them to be able to hear you from all the way over there. I did something similar with a 300mm lens on the 20D once and it would have come out great if I had used flash to balance the light. The hardest part may be getting sufficient depth of field for the background to not be a complete blur. And if you stop down a lot, then you'll need pretty powerful flash to help balance them with the foreground. But the mountains in the background don't have to be totally sharp, either -- as long as you can tell what it is, a little blur will help focus on the people anyway. Aside from that I don't have much advice, sorry.

I think a softbox and the umbrella will be helpful. I would put a flash off to either side of the group at a 45 degree angle just at head height and then maybe one more in front up higher and angled down slightly. The last one up high from the back side with low power just to highlight the edges (hair light). I like the idea of compressing the BG but you will have to be probably 50 yards away with 500 and might be tough to not include your flash gear in the shot.

You'll likely need more umph than one flash can provide as your mainlight (unless you shoot at a time with the ambient is low). You might want to consider something like the Triple Threat. It's the best design for a multiple flash holder I've ever seen especially at a price I wouldn't mind paying myself. With it, you could put three flashes in the main umbrella and one on a stand with another umbrella for fill (then again, that would require you purchase another umbrella, I assume). As for a rim/separation light, hopefully you can put the sun to the subjects' backs. I use the sun for rim all the time.

Personally, I'm not so sure about using the 500L for family portraiture. My biggest issue with it is the subject-to-photographer distance hampers communication. I find fast, reliable communication to be key in nailing group shots.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 03-23-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    You might want to consider something like the Triple Threat. It's the best design for a multiple flash holder I've ever seen especially at a price I wouldn't mind paying myself.
    Sweet bracket! Reminds me of the FourSquare but much cheaper.

Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    You might want to consider something like the Triple Threat. It's the best design for a multiple flash holder I've ever seen especially at a price I wouldn't mind paying myself.

Sweet bracket! Reminds me of the FourSquare but much cheaper.
    I purchased The Interfit Triple flash bracket a while ago and though it's not quite as cool as those you guys cited, but it should do the trick--and it is very sturdy. I do plan on useing these as my main light with my umbrella. I am still trying to decide if I should get another umbrella or not.

Thanks for the advice
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    You'll likely need more umph than one flash can provide as your mainlight (unless you shoot at a time with the ambient is low). You might want to consider something like the Triple Threat. It's the best design for a multiple flash holder I've ever seen especially at a price I wouldn't mind paying myself. With it, you could put three flashes in the main umbrella and one on a stand with another umbrella for fill (then again, that would require you purchase another umbrella, I assume). As for a rim/separation light, hopefully you can put the sun to the subjects' backs. I use the sun for rim all the time.

Personally, I'm not so sure about using the 500L for family portraiture. My biggest issue with it is the subject-to-photographer distance hampers communication. I find fast, reliable communication to be key in nailing group shots.
    Great suggestions Sean, I do have a triple bracket and enough flashes to fill it up + a fill light---Still pondering the second umbrella--but I will probably go ahead and order one tonight. After all, It would also be usefull for my Hummingbirds as well. One thing you reminded me of is more batteries. I am used to shooting at 1/32 or or 1/64 power so my batteries last a long time---but at full power I am thinking I will need at least two complete change outs to be safe.

As far as the 500, That is just an idea--I think I will try it on individuals just to see how it works, then convert to the 100 f 2.8L. For the family, I want to try my 50 1.2 or maybe the 100 if I don't have to back off to far.

Thanks for the wizdom
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I think a softbox and the umbrella will be helpful. I would put a flash off to either side of the group at a 45 degree angle just at head height and then maybe one more in front up higher and angled down slightly. The last one up high from the back side with low power just to highlight the edges (hair light). I like the idea of compressing the BG but you will have to be probably 50 yards away with 500 and might be tough to not include your flash gear in the shot.
    Joel, Nice ideas, but I need to gang up the lights since I am limited on pocket wizards---since I only have 3 recievers, I will run 3 flashes off of one reciever for the main light, 1 for the fill and 1 for the backlight if necessary. Depending on the sun, I am thinking the main at high left, the fill at shoulder height on the right and the backlight behind the subject/s.

You are dead on about the distance. I checked my old football pics and shooting from the endzone, I could reasonably capture the the backs and 4 linemen at the 50 yard line ---so for a family shot with some background and headroom, 50 yards should be just about perfect. I think I can borrow a bull horn from work
    Bob

Regarding umbrellas, For this purpose, I am thinking silver is better---a little more light with a little more "snap", I am also thinking a 60 inch umbrella would suit a triple flash setup better than a smaller one ----What are your thoughts.

There is also a gold and silver umbrella that looks very interesting---any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Bob

While I've used silver reflective umbrellas in the past, I much prefer using white ones (they do require a bit more power, though). I'm not a fan of the gold umbrellas. I like to gel my mainlight with 1/4 CTO lots of the time. However, a gold umbrella is substantially warmer than that. I like gelling flashes because you can have a full set of gels that arm you for just about any occasion, and you can fine tune the color with 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 variations.

If you did go with a silver umbrella, gel you flashes with 1/4 each to counteract the coolness of the silver reflective surface.