Thread: C&C These hand held no filter canon 5d w/35mm L please

C&C These hand held no filter canon 5d w/35mm L please

tell me how to improve please! these are hand held,plain 5d and 35mm 1.4 L nothing else. thank you!

Re: C&C These hand held no filter canon 5d w/35mm L please

A circular polarizer would help deepen the blue of the sky, allowing you a longer exposure, brightening the trees without blowing the sky.

Based on the trunk darkness, you're shooting more towards the sun, than away from it. If you could get a bit more light on the trunk, it may help, though the trunk would also be brightened by suggestion #1.

Having the full tree in frame would be ideal too, or a single frame filling detail, such as a leaf. Right now it's a partial shot of a generic tree in bad lighting conditions.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Crop of the tree is pretty cool, i like the composition, yeah, i would use a polarizer as well to get some more light on the trunk.

Thank you both, for your comments, and ideas. I will look into find the best polarizer for my lens, although, i always thought these L lenses where supposed to avoid using these things! the photo is not cropped, i posted the actual shot, i wonder if it has been cropped automatically? here are more...

www.flickr.com/.../55208635@N07

A L-series lens speaks to it

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbert

A L-series lens speaks to it's build quality, weather sealing, and general high standards of image quality (though what exactly that means varies pretty widely from model to model.) They don't do anything magical to make pictures 'good' or overcome the basic laws of physics. All the same rules from other cheaper lenses still apply, or Newton and Einstein would get royally pissed.

While it's true that they 'canna change the laws of physics', better optical elements mean better optical quality. For example, all L-series primes contain an aspherical lens element to reduce spherical aberration, and all L-series zooms contain a UD or fluorite element to reduce chromatic aberration. It's true that non-L lenses can have these elements (except for fluorite), but even then quality matters - for example, the aspherical elements in L-series lenses are ground and polished glass (highest optical quality), whereasin the non-L lenses with aspherical elements, those are molded glass, molded plastic, or a resin coating on a spherical glass element (in decreasing order of quality and cost).

You know overall these shots are very awesome in my humble opinion! i still cant believe i took these with the 5d and 35L!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55208635@N07/

So are you saying my shots lack credentials? well you are right on that part, i have none! i still think that my shots are very nice considering my lack of what is considered magical skills to make picture. also i love my wife,my kids,my kitty, and my dogs!

I think the point above was that even an L-series lens is not going to magically give you polarizer effects when needed.