Thread: Gimbal Head Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Peety3, sounds like it is a lot more complicated than I realized for usage with a zoom lens. Joel, the GHB2 is only for up to 400mm. So, what I'm kind of getting out of this is my choices are real slim to nil.

Maybe I should just try getting used to using it on the ballhead that I have. I didn't really like using it for BIF because I just felt to constricted so I always ended up hand holding. Definitely, not an option anymore with the 150-600mm and my extremely bad back!

Also, I am still using the Wimberley Quick Release Plate that I used on the 100-400mm which I think now, I should be using a longer one. Another thing to add to the never ending list!

Thank you for all the suggestions ...giving me much to consider and look into. Renting one is looking pretty good, Joel!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Peety3, sounds like it is a lot more complicated than I realized for usage with a zoom lens. Joel, the GHB2 is only for up to 400mm. So, what I'm kind of getting out of this is my choices are real slim to nil.

Maybe I should just try getting used to using it on the ballhead that I have. I didn't really like using it for BIF because I just felt to constricted so I always ended up hand holding. Definitely, not an option anymore with the 150-600mm and my extremely bad back!

Also, I am still using the Wimberley Quick Release Plate that I used on the 100-400mm which I think now, I should be using a longer one. Another thing to add to the never ending list!

Thank you for all the suggestions ...giving me much to consider and look into. Renting one is looking pretty good, Joel!
    I think the advantage of using a gimbal is proportionate to the lens size. In other words for a relatively small and light lens like the 100-400 a gimbal is probably not needed but if you are using the 500mm and up it makes a world of difference. My Wimberly locks solid for carrying with no problem, it has been perfectly smooth from day 1 and I have never had a malfunction in 6 years so far. Of course it isn't cheap, but it will never need replacement so actually the cost over time is low.