Thread: d1 Mark IV vs 7 D

d1 Mark IV vs 7 D

When I set out shooting photos during traveling I have up to now 2 1DMarkIV. One with a 24-105 Canon Lens and the other with either a 16-35 Canon Lens or a 70-300 D0 Canon Lens. One of the two I carry in a box hanging on my shoulder. The photos are as far as the technical aspect is concerned perfect. I think we don´t need to discuss about that. I often leave the flash at home, because it would reallyy be too heavy and can not be handled. When I don´t have to carry the gear not too long time - an hour or so- I like to use the gear. But when the walk takes longer (for instance 3 hours through the sites of the old romans in Rome) it becomes really less attractive.

I like the 1 D Mark IV because of their features and possibilities. I have never had a camera with such an accurate and fast autofocus. Only to mention one aspect. And If I take photos during an event, for instance a concert or a party, they are the right choice.

Now I have thought about buying 2 EOS 7 D. One with a 18-200 mm and one with a 10-22. The 7 Ds are much light weighter (820 g - 1130 g) and the lenses are light weighter and two lenses cover the whole range of the photographical field. I don´t need to change lenses The technical properties are excellent ( see Bill Carnathons?orthography! review), the camera is smaller costs with regard to the price only 1/4 of the price of the 1D And the builtin flash is very practical. btw. Since it possible to push the ISO up to 3600 and more, the usage of the flash becomes less and less necessary

The 7 D gear puts me in a position to react fast to situations You know when you are with a group walking through Venice for instance, you have to be fast, when you want to take good photos

I sometimes take photos for the company which organizes the journey. The people who took part want to see themselves later on the CD with photos and also the important sites we visited.

What do you think about, what I plan to do. Or do you have other ideas. Answers will be very appreciated.

Re: d1 Mark IV vs 7 D

The system you

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Scheiner
    buying 2 EOS 7 D. One with a 18-200 mm and one with a 10-22.

I don't see a need for two 7D's, I would get a 5D II and a 7D. That way you have full-frame IQ and noise and the 7D for speed. Plus you can take advatage of your 16-35mm and is much better than the 10-22mm. That way would acutally be cheaper.

+1 for John
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

5D mk2 and 7d would be a good setup. You could also enjoy the larger fov!.. You are just going to have to consider the build and featers of the 1d series. IQ wise, probably won't take that big of a hit, just try to use the 5dmk2 for low light, high iso situations.

The 7d focuses very quick. The only time you would notice a difference from the 1d series would be sports and low light.. Doesn't sound like you are shooting either, and the 7d is good for part time sports photog with its 1.6 crop factor.

Yes I'm going to say this.. and yes I still prefer canon over nikon... but if you are looking for great AF in a prosumer body.. might be worth it to take a look at nikons line. that being said, I think you have some pondering to do.