Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any lens that can do telephoto and macro?

any lens that can do telephoto and macro?

I've been looking for a lens that can serve almost as a macro and telephoto in one. While maintaining good quality of course. I know, impossible right?

I've been looking at the canon 70-200 f4 IS for awhile now. I like it because it has a good range and it isn't too big and heavy. Does anyone have any macro type shots with this lens they can post? How about with the 1.4 extender as it is suppose to increase focal range and macro capabilities as well.

I've also been looking at the Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro lens which can possibly serve as a telephoto. Even more so with a 1.4 extender on it.

Any thoughts on this? Or example pictures they can post? Thanks in advance.

Re: any lens that can do telephoto and macro?

The obvious choice would seem to be the 180mm macro. Read Bryan's reviews of it and the sigma.

I've used 70-200 zooms with extension tubes for macro. Works fine, but not for getting really close, and not as convenient as a dedicated macro lens. OTOH, I think IS is nice for macro, but no canon macro lenses have it

I have the 70-200 F\4 and it is a great lens but the foucsing distance is 4ft so haven't really tried any macro style shots with it. I also have a 300 F\4 and take macro shoots with it alot. Its min foucing distance is 4.9ft. Here is a shot I took within themacro range for this lens.

1/640, F\4, ISO 320 Handheld setting on my behind in the middle of a gravel road.

OT: Wes, that's a great shot!

I second the EF 300 f/4 L IS, with the minimum focusing distance of 4.9ft + 300mm focal lenght this lens is a great close up lens (I wouldn't call it macro). Want to get even closer to your subject...add extension tube.

The 300 f/4 IS and 1.4x II does a pretty good job (about 5 ft.). Add a 500D close up and that might get you in closer.

JeffersonPoster

OT: jusap thanks.

I like the idea of the 300mm f4, but I think it is a little bigger than I want for a walk around lens. I really like the 70-200mm f4 IS for it's size and range, but unfortunately canon doesn't make a 500D close up lens in 67mm. Are there any 3rd party companies that make a 67mm close up lens that is good quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    unfortunately canon doesn't make a 500D close up lens in 67mm.

You can get the next largest size, but that's a little more spendy. Extension tubes are another option.

Here is one guy that stacked his 70-200 f/4 IS with *three* accessories all at the same time.
    • EF 2X II TC
    • EF 1.4X II TC
    • 25mm extension tube

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=30202150

by saying I can get the next largest size, do you mean get the 72mm one and get step up rings? Does that work? This would be good actually because I have a 28-135 which is also 72mm and I could use it for both lenses.

That is pretty impressive with all those accessories. But I'd think the cost of all those accessories, I could just buy a 100 mm macro haha. But it's good to see what the lens is capable of doing. You can even see the tiny threads on the edge of the stamp. Pretty cool. Thanks for that.