Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which zoom?

which zoom?

hi guys! I

Re: which zoom?

I have both

I like the 16-35mm over the 24-70. It just seems to be a better lens.

What do you plan on using the lenses for?Do you have a full-frame or crop camera?I think with a little more background we could give you better feedback.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but really the biggest difference between these two lenses is the zoom range. Both are going to give superb pictures.
    - Trowski

If you have nothing wider than 50 currently, first I
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I

thanks guys! I

Given that, I'd say the 24-70mm f/2.8L is your best bet. The 16-35mm is definitely too wide/short for a walkaround lens on a FF body.

Quote Originally Posted by cxr

thanks guys! I'm currently using a full frame body ( 5D Mark II ) and I'm planning to use the lens ( 16-35 or 24-70 ) for general purpose things. I've used the 24-105 f4 IS for a good while but I just like the OOF blur the f2.8 gives. Actually in regards with the 24-70 f2.8, my main concern is the variation of copy and in regards with 16-35 f2.8 my concern is, if the zoom range is too short for an everyday lens use.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Maybee I have a bad copy of the 24-70mm. I do alot of large prints and my copy just never delivered. I sent it in for warranty work once but it still performs the same. Alot of people really like this lens, maybee if I had a diffrent copy I would to. The 24-70 range is really good for everyday use.

My 16-35L has produced alot of really nice pictures, it is wide. It really depends on what you are concider everyday use if it would work for you or not. My walk around lens is a 35mm F1.4L and before I got it I usualy had the 16-35L on my camera when I went out. The 16-35mm may be to wide for you, thats a question you can only answer.

My camera is a 5D Mark II as well.

@ HDNitehawk - how do you find the 35mm f1.4 L on the 5D Mark II? I know the zoom lens will be versatile but I

Quote Originally Posted by cxr
    HDNitehawk - how do you find the 35mm f1.4 L on the 5D Mark II? I know the zoom lens will be versatile but I'm quite intrigue with the 35mm f1.4

Its great.

I find the 35mm 1.4L sharper than the 16-35mm and the 24-70mm. On my copy the auto focus is dead on and usualy the only problems I have with focus are my own fault, like not going with a F stop to get enough depth of field for close shots. You will give up the versatility of the zoom and gain some IQ. I like to do large prints, I have the pixma 9000 and 9500 and do alot of 13 x 19. The 35mm 1.4 gives me a few more keepers than the zooms do.

If you do not do large prints, and you do not need the low light abilites of a 35mm 1.4L, then the versatility of the zooms might be the way to go.