Thread: 5D faulty? Electronic problem?

5D faulty? Electronic problem?

Hi!

I've got quite a huge problem here! I was shooting with my 5D mark II that I bought 1 year and a half ago when it suddenly shutter completely down saying error 70...
    Sent it to Canon, who sent me a quote today saying they need to dismantle the camera in order to replace the main PCB, which will cost 800 euros.

My warranty when I bought my camera only lasted for a year....

My camera has never fell, never had any shock. I told the shop who took care of sending my camera to canon that it was out of the question that I pay the total amount of the 800 euros as it is apparently a manufacturing default from Canon.
    Has someone experienced the same problem? I read on a few blogs that it has happened quite often...

Nathalie

Hi Nathalie,

that's bad luck
    From your case I read Euros, so I assume you live in Europe?
    There is a European law that demands a two year warranty on any product, unless the expected life-span is shorter than that. I'm not sure how you could use this law(depending on where you live), but it's certainly worth a try to find out if it can work for you. It's definitely not as easy as normal warranty, but if it can help you...

For example, this law is the reason that European citizen have 2 years warranty on their Apple products while Apple just gives 1. The company is not likely to give the warranty away easily so make sure you know your resources. In your case I think it's definitely worth the shot.

If you live in the Netherlands I wouldn't mind helping you sort this thing out. Good luck anyways!

Jan