Thread: CFExpress Cards Speed Tests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    @Kayaker

I use two SanDisk 64gig cards, I never noticed them getting especially hot in practice. Do they get warm when under heavy use like when using them on my 1Dx III? Possibly, but I never pull them out right after heavy shooting. I pull them out when I get home to load the images.

And of course I'm limited in my upload speeds because I don't have USB 3 2.

Not to say I they don't get warm, just my personal experience using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass View Post
    Do they get warm when under heavy use like when using them on my 1Dx III?
    Of course, I am not sure what your heavy use would be and heat disappation is likely different between the R5 and 1DX III. I, admittedly, have a heavy trigger finger. I have removed my CFE card from the R5 after heavy use and I'd describe it as warm.

I would describe it as hot after it had been in my card reader for awhile and transferring files. Somewhat interesting, just being in the card reader makes it warm to hot (the computer recognizes it as an SSD drive). Transferring a couple hundred GB of files, it is definitely a hot. In the figure I referenced above, theSSDreview found that the 512 GB Sandisk card got up to 80C during large file transfers. I wouldn't say mine was 80C, but the trend is there. It has interested me that a number of cards are much cooler under the same conditions.

The 64 GB Sandisk card has different list read/write speeds, so I am not sure if it would be directly comparable to the other Sandisk cards. But, in terms of heat generated, maybe that is a good thing.