Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Questions

Lens Questions

Hi am new here and also very new to photography. I recently picked up a Canon T1i that came with a 18-55mm lens. While this lens seems alright for taking pictures around the house i need something with more zoom My 6 year old son plays soccer and i am looking for a 200-300mm lens that will take decent pics. I am on a budget so i cannot afford an "L' lens. I have looking at the Canon 55-250mm, the Canon 70-300mm and the Tamron 18-270mm. I know they all range in price pretty well but i am looking for opinions on all three. I am leaning towards the 55-250mm based on the price because i am on a budgetbut if opinions are strong that it is not a good lens or decent lensthen i will save and get somethings else. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Re: Lens Questions

The best thing you can do is work out how high a price you will go to buy a lens. The reason is a lens will last many years and many camera body upgrades so it is better to invest well.

The Tamron 18-270mm will give you plenty of options without the need to swap lenses, but this will come at a cost of image quality, so it is normally best to split down the zoom range.

If you are looking at the 70-300 IS, the Canon 70-200 4L is a little more but worth the extra being "L" quality.

In terms of IQ I would probably rate these lenses:

1. Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS (~$550)
    2. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (~$255)
    3. Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 (~$630)

This is not a knock against Tamron but the fact that it's a "super zoom" means that IQ is compromised for the sake of range.

Have you read Bryan's reviews on the Canon's?

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens Review

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

He has not reviewed that particular Tamron.

Another lens to consider would be the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L. It will blow all of these other lenses out of the water IQ-wise but it does not have IS. The IS version of this lens will cost you an additional $425 which is probably close to your whole budget

For you, I would probably consider the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS. I think that IS is very important for the focal length and especially for a new comer to photograhpy.

I did look at the 70-200 L lens but i think i would want IS.So far the 70-300 IS seems to be the pick from on here and friends recommendations.

If you are using the lens for sport then "IS" is not needed due to the high shutter speeds required to freeze the action. When I had the 70-200 F4L, I used it for horse riding events and didn't need "IS" and when I use my 24-105 IS 4L for the same I turn it off. "IS" is more for stationary objects with slow shutter speed and not for action stopping. Best thing for slow shutter speeds is still use a tripod.

If you are looking at the 70-300mm IS against the 70-200mm 4L the 70-200mm 4L wins hands down.

Sorry to keep asking so many questionsbut what are your opinions on this lens? I know it's more but i reallylike the size and weight of it.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=150&am p;modelid=9996

The EF 70-300 <span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: x-small;"]f/4-5,6 DO IS USM costs about 3 times the "regular" EF 70-300 <span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: x-small;"]f/4-5,6 IS USM and about twice the 70-200 f/4 L USM. Don't think about it now...

Here's what Bryan said about the 70-300 DO:

"The price? Too high for the resulting optical performance to me
    personally.
    I really like the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Lens' size,
    build, autofocus speed and top-notch IS, but I'm not completely
    satisfied with the resulting image quality."

I think we meant the EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM. The Diffractive Optics version that you mentioned is way more expensive, and for the price, the image quality doesn't seem very good.

Thanks for all the replies so far! So basically the 70-200mm L lensor the 70-300 IS lens would work best for my needs and fit the price range i'm looking for.