Thread: Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f2.8 ZE for Canon Mount

Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f2.8 ZE for Canon Mount

I'm currently shooting with a canon 5Dmkii and a 70-200mm is usm ii lens. I've been going back and forth on which lens I want next - mostly a landscape lens that is wide angle.

I've used a zeiss 50 1.4 before and really loved the build quality, manual focus and images that come out of the lens. I've read some really amazing things so far on the zeiss 21mm f2.8 and I was curious if anyone here has had any/much experience with it.

Looking for some user insight,

Thanks!

Re: Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f2.8 ZE for Canon Mount

There was a board member who bought a 21mm Zeiss recently and then shortly thereafter he got banned. His pictures improved a bit while using the 21mm and I could see a diffrence in his pictures....I am very sure the banning had nothing to do with him buying the Zeiss.

I have been thinking about one for a long time. It has been in the basket more than once. I have heard the same good reviews you have. Finding someone that has one is the trick. Two things have kept me from pulling the trigger: (1) 21mm is very wide and I have always found the 24mm to be wide enough (2) the moustache distortion that every review talks about. I was never discouraged by the manual focus, as it would primarly be a landscape lens. If you wanted to walk around with it to me the MF wouldnt be an issue,justshoot at F8 and almost everything you point at is in the DOF.

I have asked for opinions several time on the boards, other than Bryan's review I have never gotten any feed back from any one who actually owns the lens...other than the banned anonymous member. So if you get one, you can give us a full report :-P

I've had one for a while, love it. this shot is with a 7D.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/2821.Story-Bridge-6a.jpg[/img]

And during the day.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/7382.Story-Bridge-4a.jpg[/img]

The lens is every bit as good as everything you have heard about it.

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Steve

Did you use any software to correct distortion? Of course with the 7D that helps minimizes it's effect if not completely eliminating it.

You say you had it a while, was this purchase a result of the 3D effect thread you had going a while back?

Both samples are very good.

Rick

There was some minor correction on the top one Rick and none done on the bottom one. I mainly got it because I wanted a very good landscape lens and I was tossing up between it and either the 17mm or the 24mm TS-E lens. I read a few reports from people that had both lenses or all three on FM and from Lloyd C
    Steve U

Guess who's back, back again
    Americo's back, tell a friend
    Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Guess who's back, back again
    Americo's back, tell a friend...

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

The user's posts have been removed.

@ Steve Was the first shot the naked lens,or did you have any filters on? It has a very interesting quality to it.

No filters, SOOC, the sun had set and it was a long exposure.
    Steve U