Thread: Too much vignetting?

Re: Too much vignetting?

If you were tring for that effect, I assume you were, It looks good.

How did you do it?

In PS I just created a new layer and filled it with black. The increased the canvas size 200% (because otherwise the feathering will not work correctly). Selected that black level. Feathered at 250. And then deleted the selected area and reduced back to original canvas size.

Now that I question the first one, I think I like this one better: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25779470@N02/3887941346/

And for a frame of reference, here is the original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25779470@N02/3887975340/in/photostream/

Well all the 3 are good and each one is special on its own.

So really you would say Oren, that it comes down to taste?

I'm a big fan of vignetting, sometimes I use it too much and the misses has to tell me off :P

i like.

Alan

My cousin is a wedding photographer. He uses substantially more vignetting than this image has, and his clients love it.

I like 'D.Ha Vignette Two' the best(first link). not over done and adds a little bit.

D.Ha Vignette One(one of the 2nds) gives an odd halo effect and it looks off to me

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent

In PS I just created a new layer and filled it with black. The increased the canvas size 200% (because otherwise the feathering will not work correctly). Selected that black level. Feathered at 250. And then deleted the selected area and reduced back to original canvas size.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This is similar to the way I do it. I am using PS elements. I do not use the canvas sizing. I use the cookie cutter with 200 or 250 feathering. The back layer I turn black for some and grey for others.

Another trick I found works really well when the background is busy is to duplicate the layer, cookie cutter with 200 or 250 feathering, then go to the back layer, hit ctrl-L, grab the center slider and move it to the right. This makes the back layer go dark while keeping the detail. You can vary the slide for the amount of dark you want.

Mark
    Mark