Thread: Old Prints and slides

Old Prints and slides

What is the best way to digitize old prints and old slides ? Any suggestions?

Re: Old Prints and slides

Get a pro to scan them, the cheap scanners don't come close to a professional lab.

John.

Any suggestions? I've never heard of a company that does prints, slides yes, prints no. Some of my family has tons of prints that I want scanned but I'd rather not fool with it.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

If you have the time, patience, and money, get a top quality film scanner. They do slides and negatives and the software can also correct for aging, scratches, and poor exposure. The resolution is 4000 dpi and gives great results for the really important shots. The files are huge but definitely worth it.

The scanner I got is a N*kon V ED. Before everyone starts giving me the cat-calls, I read the reviews and the scanner and software for it was superior to the Canon one. It cost me $1,000 but paid for itself in only ONE scan when it fully restored the image from a 50 year old slide that had faded out.

I believe the V ED is now out of production and the next model up is the 5000. I'm not sure if Canon is still making any film scanners anymore. If you want quality, so some research, get a good model and you will be rewarded with fantastic results. I see cheap $100 USB film scanners out there but I'm not sure how good they are. They might only do jpeg and not have all the good software.

I picked up a Canon CanoScan 8000F about 5 years ago and paid roughly 450.00. It does an amazing job, though it took me about a month to scan all the negatives/old printsand then another couple months of touching up the final product to my liking.

LOL, I found that most of the negatives that were scanned, the.jpgresolution output was huge.

Though I agree you can spend big bucks on a scanner that does negatives, there are others out there that are half the price or less that do a decent job.

Check out Canon's or HP's website as an example...

[url="http://www.usa.canon.com/]http://www.usa.canon.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.hp.com]www.hp.com[/url]

Happy hunting...

<span style="color: #800080;"]

Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811
    I've never heard of a company that does prints,

A friend of mine had her parents VERY old wedding print scanned and enlarged, I think it was 4X6 and enlarged to something like 16X20. It actually looked pretty good. I don't know what company did it though.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

Any suggestions? I've never heard of a company that does prints, slides yes, prints no. Some of my family has tons of prints that I want scanned but I'd rather not fool with it.

Tryhttp://www.scancafe.com/.

I was going to post on this same subject this morning and came across this thread in a search. Looking at their website, scancafe.com seems very good at prices lower than I was expecting. So I am tempted, but I have to admit, I