Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use 200mm f2.8L with 2x Extender?

Anyone Use 200mm f2.8L with 2x Extender?

Looks to be a versatile, low profile, and cost effective option. Coupled with an XTi, alot of bang for the buck too...

Re: Anyone Use 200mm f2.8L with 2x Extender?

Hey Steve.

I don't know from personal experience, but check out the post I made a few days ago. it's right here on the main page about using an extender.

From what I understand if you go 2x the auto focus gets quite a bit slower, and you get a good amount of C.A. in your pictures. Like I said I don't know from experience, but check out that post. There are a few good comments.

I just tried out the 70-200mm 2.8 lens today and wow. It's amazing. I'm going to be getting that with a 1.4x, but eventually I'll be getting the 100-400mm lens. I'm going with the 1.4x because I'll be able to use it on the 100-400, without rendering the aperture completely useless. 2 stops takes a 5.6 way down.

Either way, you'll still get good pictures with the 2x, from what I've been understanding, just don't expect them to look as sharp or clean as what that lens is used to putting out.....but hey, if your options are A: Get this 2x to get to 400mm or B: Don't get it and don't get a 400mm lens, then by all means I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

What harm can it do? You can take it off.

Hope that helped a little! Good luck!

John

I think that's a bad idea. The 200 f/2.8 with 2X TC is $1,000, 400mm f/5.6, 8 inches long, and mediocre image quality.

The 400mm f/5.6 is only $150 more, 2 inches longer, and image quality that is so much better it's not even funny. It makes the 200+2X combo look like a Fisher Price toy lens. As new, higher resolution bodies keep coming out, the disparity will only grow as the superior resolution of the 400mm f/5.6 gets utilized more and more.

If the white paint is a problem, then I would wonder if a black lens cover, tape, or paint would be a sufficient remedy.

While I agree with Dan about the quality of the 2x extender, if it comes down to you having more focal length with it, I'd still go for it KNOWING ahead of time that your quality is going to be degraded quite a bit. If you already have the 70-200 lens and can't afford a 100-400 just yet, I'd still probably go for it.

Maybe even tone it down to a 1.4, that way you're quality won't be quite so degraded.

Do you already have the 70-200?

LS, I don't have any L lenses. But does the 200mm f2.8L have a better image quality than the 100-400? And if so, how bad would be the degradation compared to the 100-400? I'll have to take another look at Brian's info.

But yeah Dan, the 400mm f5.6L is a mighty fine value. It's just that the two for one idea looks tempting to me. And covered or not, that 400 is BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eisenberg
    And covered or not, that 400 is BIG!

It's only 2 inches longer than the 200 f/2.8 and 2X.

Quite true...

Big is relative...

a 400mm f/5.6m compared to a 400mm f/2.8, is downright casual []

Oh I'm sorry Steve, I was thinking you had one, and was wondering if you should get the 2x or not.

If you want the focal length, get the 100-400mm. If you want the sharpness and speed, get the 70-200mm. The extender just won't get you the same quality shots the stand alone lens will.

It all depends on what you are doing. I'll tell you this, the 200mm auto focuses LIGHTNING fast! It blew me away how fast and accurately the lens focused. The 400mm doesn't focus as quick, but it's still fast and accurate.

So, if you need the focal length, you should really get the 400mm. It has a nice clean, sharp picture and good IS. You'll be way happier. The IS works well. Granted it was a sunny day today, I hand held 400mm no problems at all. So, for what the lens is made for (brighter light) it works absolutely beautifully.

The 200mm, I took some indoor shots, and they came out beautifully. I should post some up here when I get a chance. Another great thing about the 200 is the bokeh. It's terrific! Absolutely gorgeous background blur. This would be a prime lens to do candids or portraits.

So, in the end, it all depends on what kind of photography you want to do. To get the best image quality you have to get one or the other without the extender. Like I've heard, when it comes to buying camera equipment you only want to cry once....and that's when you buy it, not over and over when you don't get the quality shots you're looking for.

Hope I helped. Post any more questions my friend!

John

PS: I will get an image from each lens put up by tomorrow on here for you, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Oh and yes, they are both pretty large and heavy. Obviously nothing compared to the fixed 400mm and up lenses, but compared to what you're probably used to. You're left arm will surley get stronger. lol