Thread: Anybody upgrade 40D to 7D?

Anybody upgrade 40D to 7D?

If so I'd like to read your thoughts/comparisons, especiallyw/the AF, e.g. tracking moving subjects, accurate focus in low light, etc.

Thanks

Bill

Re: Anybody upgrade 40D to 7D?

Bill, as I've used the 7D only for three months and only borrowed the 40d infrequently, I can't give you an extremely detailed analysis but here is what I did notice.

AI servo is significantly better. I found shooting BIF to be an easier task with the 7D. Ducks, hawks, airplanes, everything was easy. It's new autofocus really is awesome. It's always easy to crop when you have a 5184x3456 image. Also of note, the sensor on the 40d I used was dirty very often. The self-cleaning on the 7D really does work and I haven't had to clean the sensor manually so far. Autofocus in low light with my only lens so far (300 f/4) was good. The 300 f/4's autofocus is always good or very good, never great, so I'm not sure how the 7D focuses with faster/other lenses. That being said, its autofocus is head and shoulders better than the 40d in daylight. I just don't have a *fast* lens yet so I don't use it in low light.

hope this helps

brendan