Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, hold the laughter ...ME a wedding photographer!???

Six hours later I am still watching this seminar! Talk about being packed with information!! WOW!

The main thing I am getting from this is ...WHAT the heck did I get myself into!!

BTW - This guy makes over $7k a wedding and shoots in "P" mode a large part of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Six hours later I am still watching this seminar! Talk about being packed with information!! WOW!

The main thing I am getting from this is ...WHAT the heck did I get myself into!!

BTW - This guy makes over $7k a wedding and shoots in "P" mode a large part of the time!
    Must be a professional if he uses P mode
    I never use P mode. I use Av for available light. M for the rest.
    Just practice and find what works best for you
    Last edited by clemmb; 08-13-2012 at 01:09 AM.
    Mark

The Journey of a Lifetime Begins With a Single Step.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Must be a professional if he uses P mode
    I never use P mode. I use Av for available light. M for the rest.
    Just practice and find what works best for you
    That's exactly what I thought .

He did sort of sell me with the "P" mode. I hav never used it before but if it's good enough for him and the weddings he did for JLo, Leann Rimes & Steven Spielberg ...it might be good enough for me! He uses "P" mode when he is using AE lock button and then has to turn and focus on something else in less than a second for example.

Another point, in the seminar he reads a paragraph (really fast) that Steven Spielberg's attorney had him put in his contracts that really makes sense. If a person buys the video they get a copy of the contract that his attorney wrote. I wish I still knew how to take shorthand because it would have been nice to get it down. It pretty much states that the client needs to keep in mind that photography is an art, the photographers vision of that individuals wedding and that the photographs they receive may not look exactly like what they envisioned they would look like and they will not match exactly to other photos on the photographers website. Of course it was worded so much better than what I am putting here but when he read it and explained why it was so important, it really sounded good! He also explained the difference between using different wording in contracts. Such as, using the word retainer and not deposit. He gave many good examples of different scenerios of issues that could come up.

One thing I was thinking I may include in my contract is that the client is aware that this is my first wedding assignment and that with my being the sole photographer, that although I will do everything to catch the most important moments, there is a chance that some moments will be missed. I have to think about the wording of it but that way if they end up not being happy with the photos in the end, they cannot come back and say they did not know I was inexperienced. Thoughts?

Goes to show you the focus is not on equipment so much as your skills, imagination and vision to make the most of the situation in front of you. Also your creativity in post processing will be a huge asset. That is why he can get $7K.

The 7K was just for him and his time at the wedding. It didn't count prints or albums, that's done after the fact. I was interested in the contracts, but couldn't stay up. I was interested to hear about his version of Copyright and wonder if it applies the same here as it does in California.

I apologize for beating a dead horse with what has turned into a VERY lengthy thread here but I thank you guys for putting up with me! Even my daughter said she doesn't want to talk to me if I am going to talk weddings ...LOL! And it's still a month and a half from the big day!!

First off, I haven't heard from the B-T-B since I sent her three days ago few questions to gain more insight of the wedding and sent her a couple options showing what could be available to her that are within her budget.

Presuming that she has been too busy to respond, I do have a few main concerns now that I have watched the day-long seminar.

#1 - Is the f/2.8 of my Siggy zooms really going to be enough?? Bumping the ISO to like 3000, 4000 on a 7d doesn't sound very appealing to me since I usually toss most of the photos I take if they are higher than 1000! Should I go with my Canon primes for the wedding and use the 50mm 1.8 II and 135L 2.0 and lose IS which may also cause more leg work and possibly cropping? Mr. B stated that you really shouldn't shoot people with wider than 50mm anyway.

#2 - This is sort of tied to #1 above. How close is ok to get to the ceremony without being too intrusive and where is best for me to be. Obviously, I can't cover everything! So, facing the back of the room and getting shots of the bridesmaids etc. & her coming down to the aisle, getting the back of her and his expression when he sees her, being close enough when the father hands her over to the groom ..."I Dream of Jeannie" & "Bewitched" comes to mind! The most I may have my daughter covering from the sidelines is stills of sitting guests and the wedding party during the ceremony. I don't think I have the skills that Mr. B has of slinging two cameras on me and switching back and forth as needed! Plus, he actually walks down on the side of the aisle with his assistant and uses her white shirt to continuously bounce flash off of!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    The 7K was just for him and his time at the wedding. It didn't count prints or albums, that's done after the fact. I was interested in the contracts, but couldn't stay up. I was interested to hear about his version of Copyright and wonder if it applies the same here as it does in California.
    He went over that so quickly that I didn't really get much out of that part of it.

Mr. B stated that you really shouldn't shoot people with wider than 50mm anyway.
    I didn't watch the video / show Denise, but was he talking 50mm on a FF body or a Crop Body?