View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • ddt0725

3 12.50%
  • Bob Williams

12 50.00%
  • conropl

2 8.33%
  • Lars

6 25.00%
  • cls

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #41 - Lo-Fi (Congrats Bob Williams)

#41 - Lo-Fi (Congrats Bob Williams)

On behalf of Dr Croubie, this is assignment number 41: Lo-Fi

Description: I don't like using the term 'Lomo', because the Lomo factory did actually produce some nice sharp lenses in its time, but that tends to be the best-known term for this style. Whatever you call it, it loosely encompasses a range of different styles. From Highly saturated, cross-processed, almost 'false' colours, to faded/desaturated 'vintage'-looking photos, sepia or B+W. Some have vignetting, some have purposeful motion-blur. Some are grainy, some noisy, some blurry from diffraction.

But no matter the method or the 'style', it's all about going back to basics, to simplicity in photography (I almost feel like Jamie Oliver, but if I called it 'The Naked Photographer' some people might mis-interpret and get Bryan in trouble).
    You don't need the sharpest lens with the widest aperture. You don't need the best sensor, with the lowest noise. You don't need the best shadow-detail (or any at all). You don't need the fastest framerate. You don't need the best lights and reflectors.

What you do need is a good eye for a subject, at the right moment, for the colours, and the lighting.

By stripping out all the distractions, the sharp edges, the contrast, we get back to a single subject or scene, which tells us a story, and makes us want to know more about the people involved (behind or in front of the lens). Actually, just thinking to myself, it's also a form of 'Street' photography, that makes the viewer think.

For this assignment, I know not all of you will have access to 10-year-old films sitting next to the heater (like yours truly seems to do).
    So (just as in the High-Key assignment), Post-Processing to get the desired effect is ok (and probably what most of you will use). As long as it's not just a one-click instagram-esque filter; you have to put thought into it, the processing should add to the the final result, it should be beautiful in its simplicity.
    So break out your pinholes, your lensbabies, or your Gaussian Blurs, and start messing with those colour curves and saturation sliders.

The finalists:

Name: ddt0725
    Motivation: I'm not sure if this is Lensbaby, low-dof, motion-blur, or what. Either way, my eyes can't stay around the edges, they just keep getting drawn into the centre. The saturated 3-colour parts and the contrast between them just make the image.

Name: Bob Williams
    Motivation: This one certainly fits my description of 'the photo tells a story'. The natural vignetting from the shadows of the trees keep focussing my eyes between the girl and the mountain, I keep wondering where she is and what she's doing. You could write a whole book from this scene.

Name: conropl
    Motivation: I don't even know what it is about this one that I like, it just does it for me. The almost single-colour, the wisps of white from the moving branches in the foreground, you could stare at it for hours as an abstract art piece before even realising there's a deer in it.

Name: Lars
    Motivation: This also fits very well with the 'story' aspect. He's right in the description, there's probably at least a horror novella in this shot, if not an entire hardback. It's the way the arms are sticking up in the air, as if it's desperate to get picked back up, the path in the background provides some clues, but more questions, as to what happened to the owner.

Name: cls
    Motivation: What can I say? It's just a beautiful, single-colour (almost) landscape. The moon, the clouds, and the orange buoy break it up just the right amount.
    Last edited by Sheiky; 09-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.

And so I (finally) get around to posting some samples of mine, all it took was for me to take a day home from work sick to do it...
    I've purposefully tried to take my own advice, and process the crap out of them rather than shoot with film and/or dodgy lenses.

Anyway, here's some i've done so far:

This was 7D with 100mm f/2.0 in a book shop for a poetry reading one night, they were staring at me all night. I've done a lot of colour curves, saturation and desaturation, blurring and sharpening, (gimp doesn't even have an instant 'add vignette' filter, i had to mess around with layers and such, but learned a lot), but i'm still not 100% happy with the outcome. I never realised how hard it was to do this kind of stuff until last night. Anyway, the point of this one is the colours and the ways the shadows fall on those two buddies, the orange of the eyes is highlighted to bring attention to them, you wonder what they get up to at night.

And this one i'm not so sure where I was going, it was one of the first shots with the ShortyForty. The red on his chest almost looks like it's 'glowing' out of him, in a sort of 'mexican wrestler superhero' way. The overall darkness of the shot makes it look like he's been photographed on the adds a bit to the mystery of who he is and where he's going.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 09-11-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Sneaky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if this qualifies or not. If so, it'll be my entry.

Icy Fog

Mark - Flickr

I call this one "The Show" as this was the finale.

Also I am not sure it applies to the definition of the assignment, but here goes.

The Show (1 of 1) by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

Really interesting assignment. I'll try to put my creative hat on this week and shoot something new for this assignment. Already two great entries!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

This will be my entry, unless something better comes up before the assignment ends ...

Monarch by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I call this one "The Show" as this was the finale.

Also I am not sure it applies to the definition of the assignment, but here goes.

The Show (1 of 1) by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr
    Has he been drummed out of the heard?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I went digging in our old photos, from when we'd had our T1i for just 2 months. I chose 5 photos to convert. It turns out they were all taken with the 50mm f/1.8. Anyway, it was a ton of fun taking old photos, trying new things with them, and seeing how to get various looks and feels. Descriptions of what I did are on flickr. The first is my entry, the rest were just fun.

LO_6588 by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

LO_4987 by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

LO_4992 by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

LO_4912 by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by steve u View Post
    has he been drummed out of the heard?
    blol
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo