Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Please ...

Opinions Please ...

Well, as most of you know I lost my "bread and butter" job a couple weeks ago and became a statistic of the ever growing number of unemployed people in the country. My job search is pretty much leading me nowhere so far.

I have to start doing something pretty quickto generate some sort of income. The max amount of unemployment compensation just isn't enough to cover much of anything.

So, with my daughter's help we put together the following flyer. I was thinking of putting it up at my dogs vet clinic and at the local pet stores.

I know I could use some better photos but this was a midnight rush job before heading off to bed. Tomorrow I will go thru the thousands of photos I have to see what would work better.

But for now, please let me know what you think. The font at the top and the colors are pretty close to what matches my website.

I know I am not fully ready for this but I don't have time to try and learn moreto become a better photographer before taking this step. It's either trying this and giving it my best shot so to speakto see if I can do it or ...going from highly paid career woman to dog walker and pooper scooper upper at this point! Sorry but I'm starting to get just a tad frustrated and discouraged(can you tell)!

Let me know what you think ...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/0647.Pet-Photography-Poster.jpg[/img]

Thanks so much for looking! Any advice given is greatly appreciated!

Denise

Re: Opinions Please ...

Hi Denise, looks like a good idea, and it might actually work! I also wouldn

I

Hey, great idea, if i
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Denise,

I think this is a good idea. To practice, one thought would be to go to a local humane society shelter or SPCA and photograph pets that need to be adopted. I can see this as a "win-win" as you get practice and may even start building a network/getting your name out there and, from everything I

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions!

Below is revision #1. I made the text bigger directly under the photos, "Making Memories ..." and at the bottom. I also took at the Italic at the bottom. I put my web address on the last line and my email address up higher in bold and larger print also. I also shortened my wording in the examples.

I really like the idea of an email redirect but I'm not sure how to do that and will have to look into it.

I left the slogan phrase of "Making Memories ..." for now. I do think it would be better to be more direct to what I am providing but then again leaving it like this leaves open the ability to change the photos and example text for other avenues down the road at some point. For now, I'd rather learn as I go on pets rather than an important senior photo shoot or engagement photos.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/8176.Pet-Photography-Poster-_2D00_-Rev.jpg[/img]

As someone pointed out, you can get practice at a local shelter. Not only to make sure you have good photography technique for a variety of animal types, colors, and sizes, but also to improve the non-photography aspects of pet photography. Making sure they
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Yeah, the Humane Societies are great. Word of advice if you contact one to take pictures...I guarantee there is someone already there that takes pictures that will think you are trying to take their volunteer position. I had a lady really made at me one time b/c all of her pictures were being replaced on the adoption website by mine!

I never worried about cleaning up the shelter dogs, but as you can see, a lot of them are pretty sick, so if you go bring Kleenex. Also, do you notice the little speck of blue in the left background? That's one of those screw-in dog retainers. I would always tie about a 20 foot long lead from the retainer to the dog. Then I would just work around the dog and try to get shots that cut out the lead (if I couldn't, I would photoshop later). Obviously using a small show collar would be nicer too, but I never cared about that since I wasn't doing this professionally. These retainers are super nice for shy dogs. Tie them up, pull out the telephoto lens and tripod, and get away from them. Plus, you don't have to worry about the dog jumping on a handler.

Two last thing that are pretty obvious...put a little squeaky toy in your pocket. The one I used was a little Gorilla. They spark the interest of some dogs, and some dogs could care less. The ones that could care less are often receptive to other dogs. Have a handler walk a dog behind you if you can't get a dog to look at you for a shot. The dog below was super shy and could have cared less about me or a squeaky toy. He's looking at his old roommate that was being walked behind me.

My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Looks good Denise. You have a frame around the image in the center. I would frame the other two as well.

This will be a good time of year for this. People wanting holiday photos of their pets. Don't forget to also advertise at pet groomers.

Good luck with this. I think you will do fine.

Mark
    Mark

I used to volunteer at our local shelter and would go there to bring food blankets and toys a few times a year. I also have taken photos there before and put them on the bulletin board at work to help get the dogs adopted.

Alittle off topic - One time I had the KMart manager shut down the entire store in the middle of the day because there was a stray dog in the parking lot that I coerced into the store and didn't want him to get away before the shelter rescue arrived! People weren't alllowed in or out! I went and took treats off the shelf, a leash and a water bowl and had the manager run to get it water ....well, it was a hot summer day! LOL! So, needless to say, I'm pretty comfortable around rescue dogs and they usually are around me! It's cats that I don't have much experience with.

I will goto the shelter next week and see what I can do.

Mark - I took your advice about the framing and I think this was a definite improvement! I still have to look for better photos though.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/6644.Pet-Photography-Poster-_2D00_-Rev.jpg[/img]