Thread: Help me choose...50D v Rebel T1i???

Help me choose...50D v Rebel T1i???

Just a little background...I'm currently using (for quite sometime now) a EOS D30 (yea I know old) and ready to upgrade the body! After reviewing both specs of the 50D and T1i they are pretty similar.

Any suggestions as to which model I should go with?? Right now, I'm leaning more towards the 50D, but willing to save ~$250+ if others think the T1i is good.

Any replies are welcome! Thanks!

Re: Help me choose...50D v Rebel T1i???

The firstbig difference is size. If the D30 fits your hand, you will like the 50D. The fit in your hand can make a big usability difference.

Other than that, they are both good, the 50d is probably more robust but does not have video, if thats a factor, and it may well affect resale value when the D60 arrives.

But, that probably does not matter if you've kept the D30 all these years.

Do you like the size, feel, and weight of the 30D, or would you prefer something smaller? Would you mind something smaller and lighter, or would that put you off?

Do you require faster tracking in AI Servo focus mode? Bryan found the T1i would lag behind his girls playing soccer/football, so it's not going to keep up with highschool, college, or professional sports. It's not going to keep up with animal sports, such as horse jumping, or dog agility competitions, either. If you tend to pre-focus on a good spot on a course and just wait to hit the shutter, it doesn't matter. You can't really get away with pre-focus for people-based sports though.

If you are doing sports, do you time your shots, or rely on fast burst speed?

Do you require the 1/8000 shutter speed?

Do you want to set white balance as a kelvin value?

Will you miss the bigger brighter viewfinder a pentaprism gives you?

-

The only major, can't work around it, advantage of the 50D would the the improved focus. If you don't require that, then it becomes personal taste, and whether you're willing to pay for the remaining differences. If you answer most or all of these questions on the 50D's side, then perhaps you'll want the 50D. If you answer most or all of these questions on the T1i's side, then you'll want the T1i. Are you willing to part with $250 for a "heavy, sturdy feeling"? Or for a bit larger viewfinder? If enough of these matter to you, get the 50D. If nothing sounds like a major issue to you, then save yourself a few bucks towards your next lens or flash.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Having owned the XTi first, then moving to the 50D, I have a hard time shooting with the XTi now. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Having owned the XTi first, then moving to the 50D, I have a hard time shooting with the XTi now. ;-)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

+1 on that. We have a 1D3, a 40D, and an XTi. Neither of us likes "to be stuck with the Rebel" - the controls are just too different. Those who know the Rebel interface might find it fast; I find it too easy to bump anywhere and everywhere. Go with the 50D.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I would strongly suggest the 50D. The AF is far superior and the vewfinder so much larger the grip and feel is not even is the same league, I actually found that with the same lens I could hand hold the 50D at slower shutter speeds simply because I could have a good hold of it. And the solid build quality doesn't make me feel like it's notgoing brake in my hand.

John.

When I was shopping for my first DSLR, my budget screamed XTi but when I held it in my hands it just didn't feel right. It was too small (and I don't have large hands). The controls weren't very intuitive, you could tell this camera was more geared toward users that would use in auto modes. I picked up a 30D and it felt perfect in my hands and I was able figure out all the manual controls within 10 seconds of just turning to perfectly positioned dials. I was just turned off by the fact it was 8MP and more expensive than the 10MP XTi (I know, I know). So I debated for a while then went back to the store a couple weeks later and low and behold the 40D was glowing beside the XTi and the 30D calling to me. More than I wanted to spend at that point, but so worth it.

Another vote for the 50D. For $250 extra you got a camera from a whole different league. Just the feel of the camera will tell you that.

The weight of the body is also important when you have some fast (thus heavy) glass at your disposal. Your combination will have a more pleasant balance.

All other advantages are already mentioned in the previous posts.

Unless you really want video, the 50D is far superior.

The 50d is probably a tad better camera, however, the little t1i can take some great shots and has some really nice features. And that $250 savings can go into some L glass. My wife has a t1i and loves it; she takes some really impressive amazing sharp shots with it. Its really a great camera.

Personally if i were you id go to a camera store and play around with both - see which one you prefer the best. Picture quality is all going to be really similar its just the controls and size which are really different.