Thread: 580 EX II Auto Mode

580 EX II Auto Mode

Hi all,

I am wondering if an upgrade from the 580 EX to the new 580 EXII with auto is worth it. As most of you probably know, using the 580 EX in ETTL mode can be somewhat tricky at times. I have done a lot of research and have found if used properly it works pretty good most of the time using manual settings,back button focus, selecting the proper focus point, and one shot mode.

I guess what I'm looking for is anyone who has used both and how well does the auto feature work, is it worth the upgrade?

I am shooting with 30D.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise.

Re: 580 EX II Auto Mode

I haven't ever figured out how to use auto. That said, ETTL II on the 580EX II works pretty much fine for me, regardless of settings, other than typically having to dial in +2/3 FEC on my 1D3 (rarely needed on her 40D or my XTi).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: 580 EX II Auto Mode

I have both the 580 EX to the new 580 EXII. I have experimented some with auto. The results were similar to ETTL mode. I think the 580 EXII may recycle a bit faster and the battery door does not feel like I am going to break it when I open it. I am not sure it is worth upgrading just for the improvements. I needed a second flash so I purchased the 580 EXII. Both flashes have to be dialed up 2/3 on my XTi but are right on with my 5D.

I shoot weddings. When I do group shots I set on manual so when I have drastic changes from white dress to black tux the light is right. At the reception I have to use ETTL mode but still have the issue of the white dress shutting the flash down too soon.

Mark
    Mark