Thread: DPP Digital Lens Optimizer

DPP Digital Lens Optimizer

I've been playing around with Digital Lens Optimizer in Canon's newest version of their DPP software, and am a bit confused about when to apply it during the raw editing workflow.

The instructions on it in the DPP "help" menu say that sharpening should be set to zero before use, but that's about it. Does anyone know if it's best to apply other raw editing corrections (such as color balance, brightness, curve, saturation, contrast, etc) before or after using the Lens Optimizer? Also, any ideas about where the "slider" governing the amount of the Lens Optimizer effect should be set under normal circumstances?

Once the Lens Optimizer is applied can it subsequently be undone, or do you have to make a clean copy of the raw file before-hand in case you want to revert back to the original?

Many thanks for any input.

The lens optimizer is supposed to be a reversible edit. My understanding of its use is limited, just like everyone else's, but the concept is that it ought to be applied to the downloaded image before other edits are made. As far as slider settings go, that is something that I expect you will want to play with to see what levels work best for your lens and body combinations according to your eye. Sorry if the last isn't the most helpful, I have realized that photo editing is one task where there is no one right answer and different people will process the exact same image in different ways to achieve different end results to suit their own styles and tastes.