Thread: sunsets on the beach

sunsets on the beach

i'm headed to the left coast in two weeks and will be spending sometime on the beach and will be sticking around for the sunsets. i was wondering from those of you who have experience if a split-neutral density filter would be a good idea or if a circular polarizer would be sufficient, thanks!

Re: sunsets on the beach

I would think a split-neutral density filter may be best for the fact that you may want more detail in the water. I don't actually own a split-ND filter, but that's what I would try if I had the chance. Polarizers are great, but in that situation I would think the reflection off the water is actually a nice part of the picture. Else, the sea might look a little dead (even with the colors popping a bit more). Of course, the ideal way to use a polarizer is to have the sun at one side or the other, not necessarily straight ahead of you. I'm interested to see what other people (with actual experience with this) have to say...

Re: sunsets on the beach

I've used a polarizer lined up to NOT block reflections. I think it might actually enhance them this way, but I'm not sure.

Time to get out a big baking pan of water and play....