Thread: Repairs

Repairs

There was a problem with the zoom mechanism on my EF-S 17-85 IS where it was stuck between 35mm and 50mm. Didn't have any idea what could be causing it. Now, the zoom moves fluidly enough across the whole range, but there's now something stuck inside the lens. and it's rattling away. Does anyone know what it could be and would it be a big job to get it out of there? Please reply as I really want to sell the lens and I want to get at least 300,000 KRW for it!

Re: Repairs

How old is the lens?

You cannot fix it yourself, so take (send) itto Canon for repair.They willcharge a fix fee to make the repair. By the way did you drop the lens?

The lens is more than 4 years old, it wasn't dropped and I wasn't going to try and fix it myself!! [:O]

You have two options: sell it in as-is condition, or send it to Canon for repair. Choose one. Canon should give you an estimate once they have their lens on the repair bench. FYI, don't hold your breath for your lens to make it onto the bench.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I would send it to Canon and at least get an estimate. You'd only have to pay postage one way if you decided not to have them fix it.

I know a few people haven't been satisfied with Canon Repair service and whatnot so maybe I got lucky, but they fixed my [out of warranty, 4 year old, bought second hand from eBay] 20D pretty fast. I sent it in April 11, got it back April 22. That covers time for the quote as well as repairs. I live in western PA so shipping to NJ wasn't bad either.

I live in Korea so trying to find the damn service centre is difficult enough!

plan a vacation to Irvine CA. Plan on a few weeks [:P]

Surely going to Japan would be a better vacation. Much easier to get to and Canon central []

Well I just got my quote back from the service centre. A hefty $200. Surely this is too much?

sounds like a deal to me. When I broke my 17-40L it ended up costing 450$ to fix. Which beat buying a new one...I guess.