Thread: Manfrotto 055XWNB Tripod

Manfrotto 055XWNB Tripod

Okay. I need a tripod!!!

I've tried shooting handheld with my 300 f/4 and a borrowed macro for a couple of weeks now, and I am in legit need of a tripod. I am aware that Gitzo makes the best of the best. I have tried their tripods. I love them. (and) I can't afford them. So, I have researched my choices and one tripod has come out: the Manfrotto 055XWNB. It's aluminum (I really don't see any necessity in getting a carbon fiber tripod) and is rated to 15.4 lbs. It is also recommended by Juza and is his main tripod. Also, it costs about $190. awesome.

This tripod will be used with an Acratech GP Ballhead, and 7D with 300 f/4 and 180mm macro lenses; Will it be narrow enough to shoot at low shutter speeds and narrow apertures?

Is this a solid tripod choice? One thing, buying a Gitzo 2 or 3 series tripod is kind of last-ditch. If nothing cheaper will do, I'd be more than happy to get one. If something lesser works well enough, then I won't consider a Gitzo.

Suggestions needed!

brendan

Re: Manfrotto 055XWNB Tripod

If you plan on doing much macro you might want to consider the very similar manfrotto 055XPROB. This one has the horizontal centre column feature which can come in handy. That's the main difference, other differences are that the wilderness (WNB) has retractable spike feet (good for outside), is slightly lighter and folds slightly smaller. Support rating is the same. I have the 190XPROB which is basically the same as the 055XPROB except a bit smaller and lighter with a lighter load capacity (5kg). I find it to be a great tripod for my modest needs (heaviest lens currently is the 70-200 F4IS with 1.4 TC), so I am sure the 055 would be good for you.

Just as important though (maybe more so) is what head were you planning to use? I tripod is not much good without one....

Stephen

The head I chose actually costs 2x more than the tripod...

Acratech GP

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen
    f you plan on doing much macro you might want to consider the very similar manfrotto 055XPROB. This one has the horizontal centre column feature which can come in handy. That's the main difference, other differences are that the wilderness (WNB) has retractable spike feet (good for outside), is slightly lighter and folds slightly smaller. Support rating is the same. I have the 190XPROB which is basically the same as the 055XPROB except a bit smaller and lighter with a lighter load capacity (5kg). I find it to be a great tripod for my modest needs (heaviest lens currently is the 70-200 F4IS with 1.4 TC), so I am sure the 055 would be good for you.

In my opinion the horizontal center column is more important than the spiked feet; I do shoot outdoors a heck of a lot but not on steep cliffs or anything where I need spiked feet.

Your 70-200 f/4 and 1.4x TC weighs about 2lbs. Based on your experience, do you think it could handle 3, 4, 5, 6 pounds well? It is rated to 15 lbs, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

In my opinion the horizontal center column is more important than the spiked feet; I do shoot outdoors a heck of a lot but not on steep cliffs or anything where I need spiked feet.

Your 70-200 f/4 and 1.4x TC weighs about 2lbs. Based on your experience, do you think it could handle 3, 4, 5, 6 pounds well? It is rated to 15 lbs, after all.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agreeabout the spiked feet, except they come in handy on icy ground (if you are in a winter area). Also, I believe you can buy these as an accessory later anyway.

My 190XPROB is actually rated at 5kg which is about 11lbs. With a good headI'm sure it can hold that weight easily as long as you are carefull about minimizing vibration (ie. remote shutter or timer). I believethe weight rating of better tripods is usually limited by vibration, not actual capacity.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen
    My 190XPROB is actually rated at 5kg which is about 11lbs.

check this out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504845-REG/Manfrotto_055XPROB_055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.htm l

there appear to be 2 versions, type in "055XPROB" in the B&amp;H search and there are 2, one with 11 lbs and one with 15 lbs.

thanks for your help

brendan

You need something that is STABLR. The tripods with the horizontal column sound neat, but shake like a leaf and there is really no way to stabilize them. One trick to stabilizing a decent tripod like the one you mention is to never extend the column, and to hang something heavy on the columnunder hook so that all 3 legs are in compression and making very solid contact with the surface.

I like to hang 20 pounds or so from mine, so I use a much heavier rated tripod. Its as stable as a rock.

According to the Manfrotto website (manfrotto.com) the 055XPROB is rated to 7kg (15.4lbs). When I searched on B&amp;H I got one hit with just the tripod and a couple of combos with heads included. The tripod itself is rated for 15lbs, so I'm guessing the 11lbs one is limited by the head that it is coupled with.

BTW, it looks like B&amp;H carries the retractable spiked feet for the 055 for $35.

Stephen

OK. How about this one?

Gitzo Explorer GT2541EX

That's a 2-series Gitzo carbon fiber tripod rated to 25lbs.

Yes, expensive, but if that's worth it, then well, I'm for it.