Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BG E11 not bad....

BG E11 not bad....

The 5D MK3 battery grip is very good. Not cheap, but a lot better product than any of my previous grips. More thingies to play with, batteries go in a different way. I'm still getting used to it, but I like it.

If you are into portraits and event shooting, I would think a must have.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I didn't know it was available... I pre-ordered mine from amazon and haven't heard from them since...

I was never much of a grip guy. I never liked how added on they looked, but after using a 1DsII for a year and a half, I came to like the size and feel. I was also having a tough time navigating through ALL the 5D3's AF points accurately when holding it vertically so with BG-E11's inclusion of the multi-controller I figured I'd give it a shot.

It looks more integrated and less bolted on than previous grips and it is much more rigid than I expected. It feels very much like my 1dsII. I didn't realize how much I missed the the larger grip in landscape also. The multi-controller really speeds up my AF point navigation and accuracy. This to me is worth the expense. I wish it could have been moved up just a bit more but I'm sure there is a technical reason for it. Maybe they wanted to leave enough space so thumbs could fit flush in the space. It is a little tough to store with a lens on it now but all in all I really like it.
    Last edited by Keith B; 07-04-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Yeah- I finally got mine and I agree with your comments. I really like it. Better than the 5DII grip (which was already fine for me).

I, too, was not a grip guy until I owned a 1D and had to go back to a smaller camera (5DII).

I was a grip guy starting with my T1i. I'm looking forward to the integrated one...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'm looking forward to the integrated one...
    Are you kidding? Even I'm looking forward to the 1DX and I'm not even getting one.

I first got a grip for my XTi and I've always made it a priority purchase since. I can't stand using a camera without one now.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I was a grip guy starting with my T1i. I'm looking forward to the integrated one...
    Probably the biggest reason I was considering the 1Dx was the integrated grip with the second MC. I really liked my 1DsII and the only thing missing to me was a MC and thought of having one for vertical too made me all fuzzy inside. But now with the BG-E11 I don't think I compromised too much with the mkIII. I just try not to think about having $4k (I paid tax on the body) invested in a body/grip too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
    I just try not to think about having $4k (I paid tax on the body) invested in a body/grip too much.
    Think instead about the $2800 you saved over the 1DX.

(I'm still trying to sell my suffering wife on that one. "I didn't spend $4,000. I *saved* $2800." She still doesn't see it that way, but you do, right?)

You are so thrifty Jon, you should do all our budgeting.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur