Thread: Eos m

Eos m

I didn't post right away when I got the mail announcing the launch, as I figured someone would have posted something by now.

So in this DSLR Canon community it would seem there's not much interest in the new entry to the mirror-less market.

To me it looks like it's packed full of features, at a glance similar functionality to a t4i, just in a different body.

For me the biggest plus over other mirrorless cameras is that a M to EF/EF-s adapter is available (or will be) allowing lenses we have to be used.

The new EOS M is Canon's first mirrorless EOS camera. Combining the imaging quality of a DSLR with the convenience of a point and shoot, it features an 18 MP APS-C sensor, a DIGIC 5 image processor, and a 3.0" 1,040k-dot touch-screen LCD. It comes bundled with a 22mm f/2.0 STM lens for continuous and quiet autofocus when shooting video or stills. Canon’s first mirrorless camera, the EOS M, combines the imaging quality of a DSLR and the convenience of a point and shoot into a single body. It has an expandable ISO of up to 25600, and full HD movie mode with the recently introduced Movie Servo AF system.
    What surprises me is the price point $799.99 that puts it nearly as pricey as a t4i or 60d (body only).

I think it will sell well... but will anyone here be looking at one?

Does look good. I had been thinking of grabbing a Sony, will wait and see now.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I would like to see what it will do with an L lens. The sample pictures posted by Canon are lacking in a few areas IMO, but they are with the cheap kit lenses.

I could see a place for a higher end mirror less camera. One of those areas would be Macro, for the most part I use live view for Macro. Landscapes would be another.

If I were still using a crop body, I could see a use for this body if the IQ is as good as the Crop DSLR's now.

I think the marketing here isn't to get DSLR owners to buy the camera, although it might be a good side effect. I think the logic with Canon is to give users of this camera the option to buy more expensive lenses. It gives a smooth transition in marketing, kind of like going from a rebel to a 5D II. While you can't take your EF-S lenses, most people who are ready for the move already have lenses they can use on FF. Same thing, if you buy this instead of a point and shoot, some day it may make the step easier for you to go to a DSLR.

It looks as if it might be better for making movies, using the EF lenses we have now. That might be a reason to buy it as well.

As far as pics go, I'd still lean towards the S95-type. If I'm packing a 70-200 plus adapter for my mirrorless, I'd rather have the dslr.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    As far as pics go, I'd still lean towards the S95-type. If I'm packing a 70-200 plus adapter for my mirrorless, I'd rather have the dslr.
    +1

No interest on my part. If it's not pocketable (and I define the S100 and similar sized cameras as pocketable, anything larger as not), then I may as well take the dSLR.

+ 2

I still think it will sell well. Mirrorless interchangebles seem to be in fashion at the moment.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I would like to see what it will do with an L lens. The sample pictures posted by Canon are lacking in a few areas IMO, but they are with the cheap kit lenses.
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/sam...movie.html?low
    If you watch that video ( find a suitable screen size for you.)
    at the end they list lenses with screen shots that were used for which shot etc.. they use several L lenses EF85 f/1.2L , EF 70-200 f/4L EF100 f/2.8L Macro EF50 1.2L etc etc...

Of course it's a professional video with 20+ people involved, but they make the camera look fantastic for video.

I agree if I'm carrying other lenses etc.. I'll use the DSLR . I take most pictures when I'm by myself.. but perhaps your other half doesn't want to carry the big camera.. but if your packing already... might be fun for them to use the odd lens or 2.

It's not for me right now either.. I'll be upgrading my t2i to another dslr... but If I had some cash just for fun.. I'd be tempted

I'm saddened by the 22mm prime. I was hoping there would be a nice EF-S wide angle, fast, affordable, and sharp prime. But, no, it requires this new body.

Still, I know there's value in a smaller body. Lots of people avoid Canon's DSLRs because they want something they can put into a pocket or purse. As a bonus, you can use your entire Canon lens lineup for the times you want a long lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/sam...movie.html?low
    If you watch that video ( find a suitable screen size for you.)
    at the end they list lenses with screen shots that were used for which shot etc.. they use several L lenses EF85 f/1.2L , EF 70-200 f/4L EF100 f/2.8L Macro EF50 1.2L etc etc...

Of course it's a professional video with 20+ people involved, but they make the camera look fantastic for video.

I agree if I'm carrying other lenses etc.. I'll use the DSLR . I take most pictures when I'm by myself.. but perhaps your other half doesn't want to carry the big camera.. but if your packing already... might be fun for them to use the odd lens or 2.

It's not for me right now either.. I'll be upgrading my t2i to another dslr... but If I had some cash just for fun.. I'd be tempted
    I was actually referring to the still pictures, I was doing a little pixel peeping and wasn't impressed. All the samples were EF-M or EF-S lenses.

I could tell they used the L lenses for the movies. From the description of how this camera and its AF system works, it may be a simple choice for doing movies. I am not sure how much of an improvement Canon has with video mode in the new DSLR's, but this little camera looks like it might be a choice to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I was actually referring to the still pictures, I was doing a little pixel peeping and wasn't impressed. All the samples were EF-M or EF-S lenses.
    Ah. I didn't look closely at pictures, just glanced, but samples I saw were all 4-6 MB 1/4 to 1/3 of potential and wouldn't expect them to hold up.