I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a backpack where you don't just put camera gear in. I'm looking at doing some solo hiking in the coming months so I'd need to carry everything myself and don't really feel like taking two bags. So I'm looking for something that would be able to hold food, drinks (one day's worth), rain & cold gear, hiking essentials (first aid kit, flashlight, map, possibly gps,...) all the while having room and keeping safe the camera gear (don't think I'd take much more than my 500D, 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/4 IS, tripod and filters, possibly a macro lens).

I don't need anything fancy like the tubes that bring water forward from a pocket in the backpack, I'm perfectly fine taking the pack off and taking a bottle of water out. I also don't need a toploader for easy access to the camera, again I can take the pack off and rest my shoulders while taking pictures.

I do however hike in places where fresh water sources aren't easy to come by, so am possibly looking at taking 3-4 liters of water along. So overall weight would be around 10 kg of which the water & tripod would be the heaviest.

A waist strap would be a must, I find it makes hiking quite a bit easier with a packed bag.

Think I've thought of everything I'd like...so erm any suggestions?