Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 650-1300mm F8 - F16

650-1300mm F8 - F16

Before anyone says anything, I know its not a canon lens (As per the Forum Category) but i couldn't resist.

Recently going through the online photography forums and news I cam across the Samyang 650-1300mm F8 - F16 Lens and immediately became fascinated with the range it provides... 650 - 1300mm

has anyone seen this in the wild? or what is your immediate reaction to this?

KICKER : It costs around $450 (NO, I am not missing any zeros) http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/...idProduct=4528

Last edited by DSLR_Newbie; 08-23-2012 at 02:45 AM.

I've seen a few of these on ebay, going for around $50-$100, in various brands.
    I don't have the cash to drop to play around with it, although i'd be interested in knowing how well they perform too.

Just take into account, if it only costs $100, don't expect it to deliver the quality of a $2000 supertele, if it did then everyone would be raving about them (like how the $400 Samyang 35/1.4 delivers IQ almost as good as the $2000 Zeiss 35/1.4, everyone *is* raving about that as good value. noone's raving over these teles so i suppose that's your answer).

Still, if you get/have one and don't like it, i'd probably drop $30 inc shipping just to play around with it for a few hours and forget about it, much like the price of a case of beer that lasts a few hours...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I've seen a few of these on ebay, going for around $50-$100, in various brands.
    I don't have the cash to drop to play around with it, although i'd be interested in knowing how well they perform too.

Just take into account, if it only costs $100, don't expect it to deliver the quality of a $2000 supertele, if it did then everyone would be raving about them (like how the $400 Samyang 35/1.4 delivers IQ almost as good as the $2000 Zeiss 35/1.4, everyone *is* raving about that as good value. noone's raving over these teles so i suppose that's your answer).

Still, if you get/have one and don't like it, i'd probably drop $30 inc shipping just to play around with it for a few hours and forget about it, much like the price of a case of beer that lasts a few hours...
    I agree with every single thing you said... I mean no one in their right mind will think that this lens would be any where near the expensive, better quality ones but what about the philosophy that "An Average shot is better than No shot at all".

I would gladly spent 100$, If i can find one in Australia for $100 (which i doubt highly because of the The Great Australian Tax) just to play around with it but that is just my opinion.

I have seen 100% crops of it before and it's IQ is very related to it's price, very low. But if you don't have a long lens it might be better than what you are using now. Crop, compare, decide.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Hmmm, i just had a look for this on fleaBay, seems the Buy It Now price is up around the $2-300 mark, that's probably way too much for the quality you'd get. If you can get one for $50-60, that might be the limit of what i'd pay.

Still, for that price (even $150 or so) you can get a Jupiter 250mm f/3.5, two 2x teleconverters, and a PentaconSix to EF adapter for 1000mm f/14. It's obviously not the best, but I've taken shots of the moon using it (fills an aps-c frame), and the IQ was better than i'd imagine these Samyang things to be (of course, that combo ends up maybe 4-5kg and doesn't have a native tripod mount, but i hacked one together).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Hmmm, i just had a look for this on fleaBay
    fleBay..Ha Ha Ha..that's hilarious...i am gonna remember this one.

Thing is, there isn't any other lens out that is going to give you decent IQ at 1350mm. You could spend over 12K for the new 600mm and put a 2x on it and the IQ would be marginal. To me a bad picture compared to a picture that is just a little bit worse is about equal. I think it would be worth the value if the IQ doesn't matter, which it wouldn't to me at 1350mm because nothings acceptable at that length.

At 650mm I wonder if you couldn't find an old super telephoto lens and adapt it somehow and be better off. I see a few pop up every once in a while on craigslist that are very cheap.

But there would be one good use for this lens, if you already own one of the long supertele's and one of your buddies asks you to lend him one of your long lenses. If you owned this one it would be the good loaner.

This one plus a 1.4 extender would probably have pretty good IQ above 1300mm..... but you have to sell your house to get one

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    This one plus a 1.4 extender would probably have pretty good IQ above 1300mm..... but you have to sell your house to get one

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
    I was having trouble finding the ISO charts for that one...

and if I sold my house where would I live. I guess I could push this lens around in my grocery cart.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I was having trouble finding the ISO charts for that one...

and if I sold my house where would I live. I guess I could push this lens around in my grocery cart.
    You could get a plastic tarp and use the lens as a tent pole