Thread: Exchanging Items at Adorama

Exchanging Items at Adorama

Hi All -

I received a lens in the mail today from Adorama that has at least 5 specks of dust inside the glass. I want to exchange it for another copy. I scouted around to get the best price I could find by just saving a few $ here shipping included and gray market. Originally, I was going to go with B&H who had it at the same price until I was ready to press the "Buy" button then they jacked theirs.

My question is does anyone know if I have to pay to return ship or does Adorama email a return mailing label? I can't find anything on their website regarding them paying to ship it back. When I returned to Abe's of Maine they emailed me a mailing label. I emailed Adorama but didn't get a reply so I'm not sure if I should just pay for it myself in the morning. Sure does defeat my purpose of going with Adorama because they were cheaper, when in the end its costing me more. I could see if I just didn't want it but I'm exchanging an item that has something wrong with it so I still don't see why I would have to pay. I sure hope the second copy is dust free and I don't have to pay to give that one back also!

Denise

Have ya talked to Helen yet? I'd start there. The only return I made to them,I paid shipping, but it was because I didn't like it and not because it was defective. I doubt you'll have a problem with them.

Best of luck.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I'm not sure of Adorama's exchange policy. Aside from people being ultra picky and low-balling your when you to resell your lens, the dust won't affect IQ. Not sure if that affects your decision at all.

I got a 24-105mm from Adorama that had a dust speck under the front element. I ignored it. I noticed the other day there are now 2 of them. If you do manage to get one that is dust free, it doesn't mean it will stay that way.

edit: Another lensrental post, this one specifically about dust.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 02-22-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Thanks for the responses! I did just get a shipping label emailed to me from Adorama. I think it is something you need to ask for, it is not something written in their policy letting everyone know that it is provided.

If it were maybe on one spec of dust, I may just keep it but with it being new and having 5+ specks I think it is worth returning. Especially since I do like doing slow shutter speeds and using very narrow apetures when I do, I don't want to have to always clone out the spots it may leave.

Thanks again!

Denise

Denise,
    What lens are you buying?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Denise,
    What lens are you buying?
    We do like to live vicariously, here!

You really should know better, Denise. It's like saying you have a new grandkid, but not telling us whether it's a boy or a girl...

John, those were my thoughts to. Denise just wasn't sharing this time

I did learn something from this thread. Normally when I send something back I foot the bill for UPS. Next time I will try and save a few dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I did learn something from this thread. Normally when I send something back I foot the bill for UPS. Next time I will try and save a few dollars.
    Yep - generally, if the product is defective the vendor pays return shipping (at least, Amazon, B&H, and Adorama do). If you decide you don't like it, you pay the shipping (and generally, if the product was shipped to you for free, they deduct the cost of that free shipping from your returned money).

What lens did I buy???? Well, I sold a few items and put most of the $ toward boring life's necessities that my unemployment check doesn't seem to cover each month. But I figured (naughty me) that I could at least get a few cheap things out of the deal! Since I sold my Sigma 50mm I bought the Canon 50mm 1.8 II. Boring also, I know but it helped me from slipping into deep depression watching it all go bye-bye ...LOL!!

I picked up a few other things ...a very cheap light stand with reflector arm that hasn't come yet ..I hope it is one of those cases that cheap pays off!

And I picked up an aluminum tripod with angled center column to just use for table top and macro work in the garden. I ordered it from Abe's of Maine and PLEASE EVERYONE please slap me if I EVER want to buy from them again! Anyway, it was sent back to them today and a refund will come my way hopefully soon & I will order the same item from another store eventually.

I also bought the Manfrotto super clamp and a heavy duty flex arm.

Another job interview tomorrow afternoon (wish me luck)!!! This one is at least full-time with benefits and a wage a person can live off of! Worst thing being is I will be driving to this unfamiliar area right when our winter storm of the season will be at its worst ....JUST MY LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post

Another job interview tomorrow afternoon (wish me luck)!!!
    Break a leg. But not because of the winter storm
    Mark