Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I solved my tripod/angled center column dilemma (fingers crossed)!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think I solved my tripod/angled center column dilemma (fingers crossed)!

As most of you know, I have been trying to find an inexpensive tripod with an angled center column to use exclusively for tabletop macro shots and macro shots in my flower gardens. Well, last week I ordered one but what they sent me was not the model with the angled center column so back it went!

Last night I received an email from Outdoor Photo Gear advertising this new utility arm that attaches to my existing CF tripod so I went ahead and ordered one. Scary thing is, even on Vanguard's website they didn't say how much weight it will hold but by the photos, it will hold more than what I will be using., I think.

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/stor...eid=9dc0a08527

It looks like it may just work at half the price of a cheap new tripod plus I can put a flash directly on the other end or attach my super clamp and flex arm to that end with a flash. That would also help I think when the orioles and hb's return in a month or so. What do you think Bob ...will it work for the hb's?

Eventually, when money flows more freely again, I hope to replace my current CF tripod and head with a CF model that has an angled arm but here's hoping this will work in the meantime! I'm on a roll lately for buying and returning since these lower budget deals are proving to lower budget useless junk! Yesterday, I just returned a Cowboy Studio 5-in-1 Multi Disk reflector, compact holder and light stand set. The stand and the arm didn't even go together (wrong arm in the box).

Denise

For what it's worth. My girlfriend uses a relatively cheap Vanguard tripod(Vanguard Espod Plus 234AP) and it feels very good and steady. If it is an example of the engineering and build quality of Vanguard you should be good

Hey! I have a manfroto variation of that on the way!
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

FWIW, I've got the Vanguard 283CT, same price as the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, pretty much same specs (weight, height, capacity), except the centre column tilts at any angle. I remember seeing specs, but i've got a paper catalogue, carries 8kg, maybe 6 when tilting IIRC (catalogue is at my old place).

So far i've used it for normal tripod photos, hanging low for macro (a bug in a web about 10cm off the ground), reproduction work (some place wouldn't accept photos, on fax and scan, so I took a photo of the page under glass and printed it to pdf. If the Australian Defence Force can't figure out the difference, then either noone can, or i'm scared for the security of our country (they already emailed me a password in plain text, so I think the latter)).
    Anyway, I've set it up but haven't taken any shots, of the column tilting into the back corner of a room to get really (really) wide-angle interiors, and have also tried tabletop macro too.
    All in all a great tripod. Came with a free bag and stone-sack thing to tie around the legs and fill with weight for more stability. Can't see using it, but maybe i'll try it out one day...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I also have a Vanguard Ball head and it has been fantastic. Hopefully their quality is good with everything! Let us know how it works out.

Thanks! Initially, I wasn't too enthusiastic about it thinking it will just be another piece that isn't even worth the low price paid but you guys have me alittle pumped about it now! Looking forward to seeing if I finally found something that was a wise choice!!

Denise, I bet you will like dealing with Outdoor Photo Gear.

I went to their store in Lousiville and the owner (Chris) waited on me personally....I was buying some stuff for my trip to visit Bob and the Bosque NWR.

Chris was so nice...he is a pro photographer too and had been to the Bosque several times so he gave me some tips and was very helpful with choosing gear.

He even offered to let me call him from NM if I was stumped as to where to go and what to do!!!! (I was in good hands with Bob though and didn't need any help)

He said anything I didn't like could be returned no problem and he even gave me a 10% discount that he had previously advertised but had expired!

Great guy, great service! If you have any questions I would call him personally and I bet he'll solve your problem for you and give you a good deal.

Certainly looks the goods for macro work Denise.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Yes, I think it will work out (fingers crossed)! I did buy my ballhead from Outdoor Photo Gear a few years back and I was very pleased with them. The more I think about it, the more I am liking the fact that I will have a place off camera to put the flash rather than having the extra weight and bulk of a flash bracket on-camera or using a seperate light stand.

This should be delivered within the hour but just thought I would let everyone know this ...

This morning I received an email advertising 12% off everything in the store at Outdoor Photo Gear (where I ordered this utility arm last week.

On a whim, I emailed them asking if I can have the 12% credited back to me since the item hasn't actually arrived yet and I just received this reply ...

"Yes, of course. I will be glad to refund your credit card for $7.20 to account for the 12% discount. You will receive an e-mail from our credit card company with the transaction detail."

Sure enough, within minutes I did!

Outdoor Photo Gear is awesome! Granted, it's not a huge $ amount but I just absolutely love quick, hassle-free service like this!!

BTW- Everything I purchased and returned over the last week has been received and credited to my account or an exchange sent out if applicable ...accept for of course, Abe's of Maine. They received it Monday (the same day as Amazon) but have yet to acknowledge the return or credit.

Denise