Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decision finally made (I think) I which two lenses to buy - Being a newbie, I hope I made the right choices! Feedback appreciated!

Decision finally made (I think) I which two lenses to buy - Being a newbie, I hope I made the right choices! Feedback appreciated!

After many weeks of reading review after review and taking everyone's replies from my last post about Macro's and ISinto consideration, I think I have finally made up my mind!!

I have decided on two Canon lenses for my newly owned Canon RebelT1i- the EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro and the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens (if I don't sway back to the 300mm f/4.0 L IS USM)!

I haven't pushed the "Buy" button yet, so any feedback on my two choices extremely appreciated []

Thanks (and Happy Holidays),

Denise

Re: Decision finally made (I think) I which two lenses to buy - Being a newbie, I hope I made the right choices! Feedback appreciated!

OK, I'm so glad I am the first to reply to your post, I need to change your mind!![]

You have to get the ef 300mm f/4l is usm.

It is better than the 100-400 for sports. It is A TON sharper. It has faster AF. It has better image quality overall. It has a built-in lens hood. It is half super telephoto, half macro. The 300 focuses at 5'.

I have tried both lenses. Most people shoot at the extremes of the zoom range. At 100mm, your 100mm f/2.8 macro will produce signifigantly better quality. People who switch from the 100-400 to the 300 are amazed. People who switch from the 300 to the 100-400 are disappointed, wondering what happened to the image quality they were used to. If you are thinking about the 100-400, you must be thinking about sports and wildlife. The 300 is arguably far superior in both of these categories.

GET THE 300. sorry, i just have a strong opinion here [:P]

brendan

Re: Decision finally made (I think) I which two lenses to buy - Being a newbie, I hope I made the right choices! Feedback appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    You have to get the ef 300mm f/4l is usm.

But if he thinks that he should go for the 100-400 L, he should go for it. He has done the thinking. He has done the research. And he is ready to make a final decision and take the plunge. Remember, his needs and expectations differ from your own.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    Most people shoot at the extremes of the zoom range.

Sure - I agree with you. Maybe he wants the versitility offered by a zoom.

But he should consider your suggestion - Maybe he'll be better off, or maybe he prefers the zoom. It's entirely up to him.

Thank you so much for responding! I was sold for weeks on the 300mm& also getting the 1/4x II extenderbut then started reading about the versatility of the zoom on the 100mm - 400mm. Gosh, I am so confused! These are mega $$$ for me and I don't want to regret my decision.

Ok, I think I'm back to getting the 300mm [8-)]

Denise

You are correct, it is the versatility that came into play on deciding on the zoom but it does sound like the other has more to offer in other aspects. Narrowing down to two with so many to look atafter many weeks of research ain't bad but these two are so awesome in their own ways ...it is a tough decision.

Thanks for your input ...very much appreciated!

Denise

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice...

However, if it was me, I'd spend a few $ to rent the lenses and try them myself, before spending a lot of $$$$$$$ buying the lenses.

I agree with Jamie 110%.

I think you should rent both from lensrentals.com for a week or so. (will cost you about $70 for each)

If after testing both you prefer the 100-400, then go for it! I think that you can't go wrong between those two lenses. I just like one over the other. The 100-400 has a push-pull zoom, and it is critical to test this as you might hate it (I don't, but some do).

hope this helps!

brendan[H]

Hi Denise, I won't advice you buying anything yet, because, I don't know what you'll be (mainly) shooting, if you would be so kind to tell us that I'm sure we can help you much much better because then we'll know what you really need and what's the best for you.

Tho it is, of course, to be said that we can guess from your current choice of lenses that you are going for sport/wildlife photography, but we might be wrong

Please inform us.

The macro I am getting to take photos of my many flower gardens and all they attract along with photos at a near by botanical garden.

With the 100-400mm or 300mm with extender, I will mostly be taking pictures of wildlife, zoo photos and birds and my grandkids at the park (unsuspecting since they prefer to avoid grandma when camera is in hand [:P] )! I also live in SE Wisconsin and I want to get some nice winter scenery photos now and boaters and seagullson Lake Michigan in the summer.

I am trying to teach myself this long lifetime dream of photography ...am I on the right track with the 300mm for my photo goals?

Denise

Denise, I'v had my 100mm macro for 3 years and loved it untill I see Juza nature photography, he uses sigma 180mm macro, his work makes me think the focal length makes the difference( longer working distance which is better and better bokeh)canon has the 180mm macro too, right now i'm waiting the 180mm IS version coming out.