Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the verge of buying a Canon 70-200 F/4

On the verge of buying a Canon 70-200 F/4

Well I am selling a lens today and it is time to buy another. I am thinking of buying the Canon 70-200 F/4 non IS. I pretty much want to use it for portrait purposes with a some nature stuff here and there. I live in AZ so most of the portraits I do are outside so I am not to concerned about light.... Any other recommendations? I do not plan on paying more than about $650. I know I know that most will say save for the 2.8 or the IS version but that is not an option for me. I also have the EF-S 17-55.

I didn't know if anyone had any non canon recommendations?

Thanks

Re: On the verge of buying a Canon 70-200 F/4

I also do a lot of outdoor portraits. I have been thinking of this lens as well. I shoot almost everything on tripod so IS is not a have to have. I am sure you will be pleased with your purchase.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by metakephotos
    I pretty much want to use it for portrait purposes

Excellent choice. On your APS-C camera the 70-200 gives you a very nice range of focal lengths. Some photographers find it to be a little too long, but since you'll be outside mostly, I think you'll just plan on using a generally more distance perspective. I use the 70-200 f/4 L IS for most of my portrait sessions, usually around 85mm (on APS-C) for most of the shots. If you go out to 200mm, you can get a very nice and diffuse background blur, even though it's only f/4.

If you would like thin DOF instead, you might consider the 85mm f/1.8. That will let you have a much closer perspective, much thinner DOF, and still achieve a nice background blur. But you lose the flexibility of a zoom, of course.

I just purchased this lens and i couldn't be happier, I don't do much in the way of portraits but for my uses it is an awesome lens. I use mine mostly for compressed landscapes, and for more flexibility when out taking flower pictures. Bokeh is very nice, good USM, and is very solidly built. Its an excellent lens.

Quote Originally Posted by metakephotos
    I am thinking of buying the Canon 70-200 F/4

Go for it... I did, and I love this lens.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I think the 70-200mm f/4 L is probably the best quality-per-dollar lens in the entire Canon lineup.

If you are not concerned about challenging light, the 70-200 4.0 takes ridiculously sharp pics. I had it for a while and it was a great portrait lens with strobes or well lit areas.

You will be getting a great lens. I've had the 70-200mm f/4 non-IS since 2006 and love the quality it gives. Even though I have since bought the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS theoretically rendering the f/4 lens redundant, I have never felt the desire to sell my older lens and still use it, judging the IQ as good as the more expensive lens. It's also a lot lighter to carry on landscape expeditions.

I just got my brand new Canon 70-200 F/4 L. It is awesome, thx for all the input. Also Amazon prime is simply amazing!

If portraits is what you will mainly shoot with this lens then consider the 85mm 1.8 (much cheaper but ultra sharp and much wider aperture for great Bokeh) and also the 135mm f2 L (again wider aperture and very sharp even at f2). My problem with the 70-200 f4 is that it really gets better at 5.6 or 8 and by then the Bokeh is not great. I really find this irritating and moreover because of the weight a lot of time there is unavoidable shake

For portraits you would need a wider aperture than f4 for really good background blur and the 85mm and 135mmfulfillthat