Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to save for a new lens

trying to save for a new lens

currently i have the 18-55IS kit lens, 28-135 zoom and just recently bought a 70-200 f/4L lens to go with my XSi. i am trying to decide what lens to save up for and any recomendations are appreciated. the 28-135 is the lens that i keep on my rebel about 80% of the time, its a good walk around lens,but i miss having the wide angle(due to the crop factor). i am split between the efs 10-22 and the 17-40 L. i dont forsee myself stepping up to a full frame camera, so getting an efs lens is not a problem. i have heard and read great things about both lenses, but dont know which one to save up for. i also want to save up for a macro lens later on this year too, or should i just get a 25mm extension tube for my 28-135?? so many decisions and so little money......lol

thanks for ay help

james

Re: trying to save for a new lens

I've got the 70-200 f4L usm as well and it goes along very well with my new 17-55 f2.8 is usm. I had the budget problem as well And now I'm really pleased with what I bought. The combination of lenses forfills a lot of demands. And the quality is just perfect. The 17-55 doesn't let you down, it really delivers L-quality in my opinion.

Next to those two lenses I've got thw 100mm macro f2.8 usm. And those three together really rule!

But then again, a 10-22 is really a great lens, but considering the price and the amount of usage...I don't think it's worth almost the same as an 17-55. Think about how often you will probably use that lens. Is it worth it? I can't recommend the 17-40, I had to choose between the 17-55 and the 17-40 last fall, but I chose the 17-55, I will try to find my topic on that, maybe it helps you a little!

More later []

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/2430/18910.aspx#18910

By the way, yes I know you've got the 18-55 and the 28-135 already, I assumed you'd sell them for the other lens. Correct me if I was wrong [:P]

thanks for that info....i didnt even consider the 18-55 f2.8.....i'll definatly rest your string about it and keep it in mind. more decisions....lol

oops.....meant to type 17-55 and i'll definatly sell my 18-55 kit lens, may be lucky and get $100 for it.........not sure about the 28-135 lens, i kinda like that lens

Haha yes it's a hard decision! Kept me awake for some days [:P]

I know the 28-135 is a good lens, but I think you'll be really happy with the image quality from the 17-55. Maybe you could try it somewhere?

If you don't mind switching lenses and get the best image quality in the entire focal area, just sell the 28-135...

When you go hinking or something you plan what lens you think you're gonna use and attach that to your camera. You can always switch lenses when you need to.

Maybe you could even save a little towards a 100mm f2.8 macro as well when you sell your 28-135 []

By the way, take a look at the mouseover picture in the 17-55 f2.8 is usm review from bryan. It shows what a lot better the 17-55 is Even at f2.8 it totally defeats the 18-55 at f5.6!!

I also strongly recommend the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens. But, you might also consider theEF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (or even the less expensive 17-85mm it replaced) - a little more reach than the 17-55mm, while maintaining pretty good image quality. The trade off is aperture - if you find yourself without enough light (e.g. shooting indoors without flash) for the kit lens and/or 28-135mm, you'll have the same problem with the 15-85mm. The constant f/2.8 on the 17-55mm is much better with ambient light indoors.

I just got the 15-85 and so far am really pleased with it. I love that the wide end is 15; doesn't sound like much difference from 17, but is is almost 6 degrees wider angle of view. (FYI Bryan's lens spec page shows the angle of view for most lenses.)

I had the same decision between the 15-85 and the 17-55. I liked the wider appeture of the 17-55, but the larger focal range of the 15-85, especially at the wide end. I understand the IQ for both lenses is similar, but I don't have the 17-55 to compare.

I paired my 15-85 with the 70-200IS and this is a fantastic combination: very versitile. I also have the 100 2.8 macro (non-usm) and love this lens: a lot of interesting pictures can be taken with macros.

IMO if you are deciding between these two lenses, I guess your decision basically comes down to whether you want the faster 2.8 appeture or the larger focal length of the 15-85. This depends largly on the type of shooting you do. With your current lenses, do you find that you are always shooting at the extreme focal lengths and wishing for "just a little bit more"? Or do you find yourself wishing for a wider appeture so you can shoot handheld in lower light? Answering these questions will help you determine which of these is better for YOU.

Stephen

lynx,

I would go with the 17-55 or the 17-40L.

If you don't mind non-L quality, get the 10-22, as it will not overlap with your 28-135, which you said you really like. Ideally, you could get a 10-22 and 24-105, but if the 28-135 if fine for you, then great! I do not know anyone who dislikes their 17-55. If that lens is too much $$$, then get the 17-40 or 10-22/

hope this helps. (HTH)

Brendan[H]

I love wide angle shots, also being able to walk in front of
    everyone else and get an unobstructed picture of the subject, and for
    me 17MM is minimum for wide angle, go to a store if you are lucky
    enough to have one close, and try the canon 10-22, Tokina 12-24 ( the
    lens I got ) and the Canon 15-85, and see if you like a prospective
    wider than 17mm ( 28mm on film or FF ) .

Pictures from Sturgis 2009, one from the front ( really pic of red bike ) and one from the back side - no people- too many people distract from the subject

Canon 50d, Tokina 12-24 at 13mm

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.92/bike-no-people.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x400/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.92/bike_2D00_people.jpg[/img]