Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon primes in white !?!

Canon primes in white !?!

Hi again!

Has anyone ever thought of requesting Canon to make their FFL (primes) all in white instead of having the telephoto lens line in white which makes them very conspicuous in public? Isnt it better having black telephoto lens which makes it more "paparazzi" like & hardly noticable? IMHO, i do prefer all canon zoom lens line to be in black & all primes in white. The red ring will still be the differentiating attribute for the L series.

I hope Canon hears us out & all of you who agrees! Cheers!

Re: Canon primes in white !?!

The white is about keeping down the heat in the lens barrel, according to Canon.

I knew that black will likely to absorb more heat compared to white. But how about on a cold weather? It does also mention something like "Operating temperature" right. Canon's advancement with regards to their lens & construction is quite impressive though. They can probably develop some kind of coating that negates atmospheric changes to maintain the lens in an acceptable operating temp.

Thanks for the info though.

I love the white...

I don't think cold weather changes anything to a lens's color [:P]

I could understand canon makes their big lenses grey/white to absorb less heat.

To be very honest, I hate the grey/white color [:P] I have had a 70-200 but you almost can't make a picture without people noticing. I had to shoot christmas at the childrensschool where my mother teaches and had to go 1 day before the big event so the kids aren't to focussed and aware of the camera and very big strange lens at D-day.

That's just an example. Also people asking me how much it costs and what it can do isn't really my thing, because it's 9/10 worse then their lens. At least for the things most people are expecting from it. It's only 70-200mm? Mine is 18-270...why do you pay so much for it...

sigh...

Nope... I like my pure black lenses [H] Got more important things to watch out for during a shoot than teaching people things they don't really care about [:P]

paint em.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum
    paint em.

:-)

There's a less intrusive way actually. LensCoat do covers for several of Canon lenses. A lot of their covers have a camo-type design, but they also have plain black ones. This would be a simple way to turn your lens mostly black and protect it at the same time.

Tony

PS I also love the white on the longer lenses. I hope Canon keeps it.

Buy a lenscoat for your white lens, I have one for my 500, but trust me, white or black if you're walking around with a 400 f/2.8, 500, 600, be it Nikon black or Canon white, it doesn't matter, people will look at you weird.

OH no I already sold my 70-200 [:P] I stated myself wrongly....I like the color as it is, it's setting them apart. It's just that I don't like the attention at certain circumstances. Sometimes I wished I had a 70-200 that attracted a little less attention. Sometimes you just want to be invisible as a photographer.

And yes if you've got such a big cannon like a 400 or bigger(even 70-200 2.8) it doesn't really matter if it's black or white. You'll get strange faces anyways [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    That's just an example. Also people asking me how much it costs and what it can do isn't really my thing, because it's 9/10 worse then their lens. At least for the things most people are expecting from it. It's only 70-200mm? Mine is 18-270...why do you pay so much for it...

my favorite is walking around with a prime and getting the "how much does that zoom?" question, but we had a discussion on questions photographers don't like somewhere else on this forum