Thread: EAA Air Show in Oshkosh, WI

EAA Air Show in Oshkosh, WI

Here's a sample of shots from yesterday's EAA air show. Unfortunately, some crazy wind rolled in and canceled the show mid-way through, so most of what I saw was old warplanes. But the crazy Oracle bi-plane's show was amazing, and he was in the air when the major wind rolled in. With such a strong wind, he was able to make the plane hover almost vertically for a good 30 seconds -- I mean full stop in mid-air. Pretty impressive, but unfortunately completely lost on still photography!

All shots with 7D and 70-300L, which proved to be an excellent air show lens.

The Oracle plane...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4336.IMG_5F00_8204.jpg[/img]

I think these are old Chinese & Russian warplanes.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1780.IMG_5F00_8044.jpg[/img]

An electric plane/glider with a retractable motor that pops up right behind the cockpit.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8814.IMG_5F00_8013.jpg[/img]

One of 6 Aerocars from the 50s or 60s. We saw it on the ground in car form too.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1423.IMG_5F00_8005.jpg[/img]

F-A18 and ___ (I forgot, but it's the only one airworthy in the world).

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0458.IMG_5F00_7954.jpg[/img]

Re: EAA Air Show in Oshkosh, WI

Great shots!

You gotta love that Oracle Plane, that pilot flies like a maniac, in a good way.

Nice blue skies and prop blur. Also love your compositions on 1,2,3 and 5.

Rich

Re: EAA Air Show in Oshkosh, WI

Thanks Richard. It was my first time shooting an air show. I experimented quite a bit with different shutter speeds searching for a nice balance between prop blur and stopping the plane.

Brian