Thread: Holiday trip to Sri Lanka, gear and sightseeing suggestions please!

Holiday trip to Sri Lanka, gear and sightseeing suggestions please!

Hello everyone!

I'm going on a two week holiday trip to Sri Lanka (Jan 21st - Feb 5th) with my girlfriend and would love to hear some suggestions on what gear I absolutely need and what places to see. We are going to stay in Koggala Beach Hotel (Google maps) and will probably do at least a couple of 1 or 2-day trips. The Yala National Park is on my list at least.

I'm going to take basically all my gear:
    • EOS 7D + spare batteries
    • EF-S 15-85mm IS USM
    • EF 85mm f/1.8
    • EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
    • Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    • Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye
    • Benro A-169M8 Travel Angel tripod + BH-0 ballhead
    • Nissin 622Di II flash
    • BlackRapid RS-5 strap
    • Burton Zoom backpack to hold the gear
    • Tamrac Rally 5 shoulder bag for shorter walks
    • 2 x 32GB CF cards + MacBook Air + 2.5" USB-powered portable HDD
    Anything essential missing? I will need to purchase a ND filter at least to get some cool long shutter wave shots. What would be a good strenght? Are the variND filters any good? I'm also trying to decide if I should get a 72mm filter or a 77mm one with step up ring so I could use it on both the 70-200 and 15-85. Do you generally use filters that much with longer lenses? What brand to get? B+W is a little pricey IMO so budget friendly but still good quality options are preferred. I'm thinking about a CPL for the 15-85 too but somehow I didn't seem to use it much when I had one with the 70-200mm f/4L IS USM. Perhaps I was doing something wrong, any tips on using a CPL?

Perhaps this is all for now, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by qwRad; 01-07-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added stuff to the gear list

I notice you don't have a flash listed. You may want to look into bringing one along for indoors/after dark. Also come in handy for fill light in the daytime to even out some harsh sunlight shadows. Other than that, it looks like you have a good kit there.

Personally, I don't use filters on long lenses as much as shorter focal lengths, but I would still get a 77mm with a step ring so you at least have the option. How about a polarizing filter? IMO these are much more usefull than the ND filters. I've had success with the higher-end HOYA filters; whatever you get make sure it is multi-coated.

How are you carrying all this gear around? Do you have a good bag? The black-rapid straps also come highly recommended (I recently bought one myself). Are you going to carry all this gear on the plane or in your checked luggage? Personally I would not check camera gear unless absolutely necessary. When in Sri Lanka, are you planning to take all your gear everywhere or leave stuff in the hotel? You may want a secure locable case/bag (ie a pelican case) as well as adequate insurance (looks like your kit is on the expensive side, so it should definately be insured...).

One last point: what do you have for memory cards? You can never have too many, especially on vacation when you should take all the shots possible and leave the sorting/deleting for when you get home. If you have a small laptop or tablet these come in handy for storing and viewing photos on the go as well, but it adds to the weight/quantity of things you have to take with you.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!
    Stephen

Thanks for the suggestions. Great points every single one. I forgot to mention that I have the Nissin Di622 II flash and will bring that along too. Also I have the BlackRapid RS-5 strap which is excellent. I use Hoya HD protector filters on my lenses and have been happy with those so maybe a CPL from them and a chaep eBay vari-ND would do.

I have a Burton Zoom 26L backpack that all my gear fits in. Tripod attached to the outside. I will also bring either my Tamrac Rally 5 messenger bag or a Lowepro Nova 170AW for when I only need the body + 1/2 lenses for shorter walks. I will definitely carry all the gear on the plane (should be easy since I can offload some of the weight to my GF) and the only camera gear that's going to be checked in is the tripod that goes in our hard suitcase. Insurance is in order. I have an expanded home insurance that is valid abroad too in addition to my travel insurance. I will go and report a few new serial numbers of my new toys to my insurance company next week. We have a safety deposit box in our room and I trust the person who recommended the hotel (my aunt who works at the travel agency) so it should be alright to leave some of the gear there when going out.

I have two 32GB CF cards and spare batteries for the 7D and will take a MacBook Air and two portable HDDs to backup photos so that should be in order.

Thanks for the advice so far!

I've researched this destination previously, so I know a little of what you can expect to see.

Yala National Park is renowned for leopards, but they can be very difficult to find. If you have some binoculars, I recommend taking them. You will find a 1.4x or 2x extender useful for your 70-200mm lens if you can get hold of one. There are also plenty of small colourful birds like bee eaters for which extra focal length is essential.

At that time of year, you may be able to take a boat trip to see blue whales or sperm whales off the coast.

The holiday company that I book with has a gallery here to give you an idea of the photo opportunities.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 01-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks for the link Andy, great looking photo opportunities. Whale safari might be cool although I have been on one already in Norway. Dolphins and sea turtles would be great! I will probably rent both extenders and take them (or at least the 2x) with me.

Sounds amazing!

Do you have a specific plan for the 85 f1.8? With the sigma 30 and 70-200 in the mix, you might save the space and leave it home.

Can't wait for pics!

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    Sounds amazing!

Do you have a specific plan for the 85 f1.8? With the sigma 30 and 70-200 in the mix, you might save the space and leave it home.

Can't wait for pics!
    Thanks! I was thinking it might be a nice and light lens on short casual walks and also a bit more subtle (than the 70-200) when taking photos of local life in the streets/markets etc. And of course good for low light as well when the Sigma is too short. It's pretty light anyway and sits nicely in my backpack already so wouldn't be too much trouble to drag along. Maybe I will re-evaluate the situation closer when I decide if I should take both or only the 2x extender.

I edited the original post to include more gear in the list.

I aslo ordered a cheap vari-ND filter from eBay. I'm still undecided about the CPL. I had a Hoya HD but the effect seemed so mild I didn't use it much. Maybe I should get a Marumi DHG CPL or a Hoya normal version for a budget friendly option? And I might get a Hoya ND400 too if the vari-ND is too crappy

About the extenders. Should I rent both or would just one be enough, maybe the 2x only? Any opinions on this? I might try to get both of the extenders 2 days before departure and if I decide I only need one then I will take the other back before leaving. That would save me some weight and money which would be nice.

EDIT: Also I had a thought that a waterproof compact might be nice for some snorkeling/diving photos. Any good recommendations on those? Preferably with manual controls of course if at all possible.
    Last edited by qwRad; 01-07-2012 at 03:59 PM.