Thread: Is this interesting?

Is this interesting?

hey All -

Does this shot do anything for you? I can't decide whether it's interesting or boring or what. I seem to go from one extreme to the other, depending on my mood I guess.

So whatever thoughts you can share will be extremely helpful to me right now.

40D, 28-135 @ 28mm, 1/20 @ f/11 ISO 200, hand held. Post in PS = levels, sharpen + crop

Thanks folks!

(there's a roadway along the RH side - the preview doesn't show it, so it may get cropped out)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/IMG_5F00_0156_5F00_grbgFlwrs.jpg[/img]

Re: Is this interesting?

IMO, there's a lot of interesting elements in this photo. The rich colour of the leaves. The sunlight cast in the background. The juxtaposition of the old empties. I can see why you want to be drawn to it. I'm certainly no pro (about as amature as you can get probably), but I find the framing and lighting to be the weak spots. I don't mind the obstruction of what I assume is a railing, although the framing (or rather the inclusion of it in the frame) doesn't appear deliberate - I feel if there's an element that's in the way that you just can't get away from, you should deliberately use it and position it (not just let it's position within the frame be dictated by where it is in relation to what it is that you're really trying to shoot).

My 2¢.

Disclaimer: I'm not a pro haha

I might back away a little from the railing in the foreground so you get a little more of the railing in the picture. Or possibly shoot from in front of the railing as it can be a distraction. Maybe move the camera to the right a bit so the view down the stairs is straight rather than slanted looking. (I'm not sure if that makes sense.)

Like WAFKT said though, there are certainly interesting elements, and I don't mean to nit-pick.

It certainly looks like an interesting spot. When I first saw it I immediately thought of putting a person at the bottom of the wall on the left. Maybe have them holding an empty liquor bottle or something as I'm assuming the empty cans/bottles are alcohol.

I'm not sure what I'd do lighting-wise with my portrait idea though. Maybe sunset/rise so you get some warm colors?

great suggestions you guys - thank you.

including the railing was deliberate. I was trying to tell a "beauty vs garbage" story here, but now that you both pointed it out, I agree the railing is a distraction. It doesn't really add to the story...

thanks again for your suggestions.